Vegan lesson plan ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Boggarts, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Nov 27, 2007

Does anyone have any Vegan lesson plan ideas? We have to teach a nutrition lesson to 4's and 5's. I was given Vegan. How and what do you teach kids about a Vegan diet?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 27, 2007

Is this for school?? Why would anyone want you to teach about veganism to little kids? When learning about nutrition they should be learning about how healthy it is to exercise and to eat veggies, fruits and food all the food groups, and how fat and sugar are not good, and you should eat very little. If you tell them some people think meat is wrong to eat it could scare them, and possibly make the parents mad! 4-5 year olds are picky enough eaters as it is!

I hope this is for school and you randomly drew this topic out of a hat or something. I also don't think it should really be taught to kids, except loosely, "some people don't eat any meat, they are vegetarians, some people don't eat anything that comes from animals, they are vegans."

Anyway, for a lesson, you could show a picture of a farm, and see if they know what food comes from which crop, animal, etc.

Milk comes from a cow, so does hamburger??? I think this is distrubing to kids. I'm sorry you have to do this!

FYI- I was raised vetgetarian all through my childhood. We had delighful little books, like A Tale for Vegetarians, which was about a boy who took a walk through his back yard and gathered honey, milk and all sorts of things from friendly little creatures. But this would not be acceptable for vegans. Don't get the PETA comic books. They are free and I ordered them and they show animals being slaughtered and have horrible cartoon illustrations of cruelty to animals. I'm a vegetarian still, and when I talk to kids about it, I talk very loosely, casually and try not to scare them. A lot of parents really want their kids to eat meat for protein, and I know that telling the kids otherwise may detour them.

4. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Nov 27, 2007

I totaly agree with you.
    I am in college earing my teacher's certificate. Part of my Health, Safety, and Nutrition Class we have to create a lesson on the Vegan diet. Unfourtantly this what my professor instructed us to do. I agree with you I would never teach this to kids so.
    The only lesson I came up with is to let kids know some people choose not to eat meat, eggs, fish, or chicken. Instead they eat fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and other wholesome food that come from plants. Then I was going to create 4 lunch boxes;one with pictures of a hamburger, fires, and milkshake, a second with fish and rice, a third with a boiled egg, yogurt, and fruit and a fourth with nuts, fruit salad and whole wheat bread in it. Then ask kids which lunch box would a vegan person eat? I would emphasize that three of these are very healthy lunches. This way I'm just showing a different way to eat not putting anything down and letting kids see the difference.
    What do you think?

5. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Nov 27, 2007

that sounds like a really good lesson for any nutrition unit!

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 29, 2007

The lunch box lesson sounds great. As far as explaining vegeterianism and veganism to children, I really don't see anything wrong with it. It's just another way people are different. There are two children in my class who do not eat pork for religious reasons. The other kids know if there's pepperoni pizza and plain pizza for lunch those two kids always get plain. I think something like 5% of the American population is vegetarian so at some point most children will have a vegetarian classmate. Nothing wrong about having them learn about what a vegetarian or vegan diet contains. Just my humble opinion anyway.

If you want a good vegetarian book a nice one is Herb the Vegetarian Dragon.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 29, 2007

You could talk about "protein" then you could discuss that meat is the protein that most people think of but other things are protein too and then discuss that. I am assuming that this is a kindergarten lesson, so you could also do a snack activity with one of the proteins you discuss.

8. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Nov 30, 2007

Thanks for the support.

I like the idea about teaching about proteins.
    I found a recipe for making a humus, tomato, and chickpea sandwich so...

9. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

Nov 30, 2007

Yes, this is for kindergarteners.

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 30, 2007

Aren't Hare Krishna's vegan? My sil's brother is HK, I remember he gave me a lesson on the difference between veganism and vegetarianism one time- I had no idea they were different, but this was about 15 years ago. I guess if nothing else it will prepare the kids in case they ever decide to become a HK! :lol: