VCLA Raw Scores???

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by englteacher, May 22, 2011.

1. webpouya

webpouya New Member

Nov 5, 2020

Congratulations!
    I got an 81% with a scaled score.

2. Abcteach77

Abcteach77 Rookie

Nov 7, 2020

Hi there, I got a raw score of 77% for my reading subtest. Is that a passing score? Thank you!

3. Abcteach77

Abcteach77 Rookie

Nov 7, 2020

Hi there - I received a raw score of 77% on the reading subtest. Can you please tell me if that is passing, so I’m not stressing for the next 10 days. Thank you :)

4. Abcteach77

Abcteach77 Rookie

Nov 7, 2020

Hi there - did you pass? My raw score for the reading was 77% and I’m still waiting to see whether or not I passed. Thank you!

5. VAMath

VAMath Rookie

Nov 8, 2020

Hello Abcteach77
    For me 77% is a score more than 235. I got 82% and 261 final on reading. You may do a little research on other posts in this blog and have a better idea. But, only PEARSON will give your exact score !

Abcteach77 likes this.
  6. Abcteach77

Abcteach77 Rookie

Nov 9, 2020

Thank you for responding! Yes, I did a little reading and it seems for some it was passing and others, it wasn’t. I have a feeling it will take exactly 10 days for me to get my score :(

7. teacher1234

teacher1234 New Member

Nov 10, 2020

Hi guys! I am trying to figure out if there's a chance I passed the VCLA. I took it yesterday morning and received an 85% on reading comprehension and a 62% on writing. I was able to finish my essay and short answer. How is it scored? Is reading comprehension half and writing multiple choice, essay, and short answer the other half?

8. nieves

nieves New Member

Nov 19, 2020

I need 10 points to pass. I just took the writing test again and feel at this point giving up on the whole thing! I did worse on the multi-choice portion (60%) and took my time on the essay's. Are each test weighed differently? I have bought the books that are mentioned throughout this blog and it hasnt help! I have also done the practice test. Can anyone give me some good websites to go on?

9. wendy123

wendy123 New Member

Dec 2, 2020

Hi:)
    I took the reading and writing VCLA November 25th. I got a 82% on reading and a 65% on writing multiple choice. I was able to finish the summary and essay. I’m not a strong writer so I’m concerned. Do I have a chance of passing? I’m assuming the 10 business days started on November 30th since last week was Thanksgiving. It doesn’t say anything about holidays on the website. I’m eager to get my scores. I passed the RVE so this is my last praxis. Any advice is appreciated :)

Thank you!!

10. wendy123

wendy123 New Member

Dec 2, 2020

I received similar scores. I just took mine on November 25th. Did you receive your scores in 10 days? What did your percentages equal out to in scores?

11. wendy123

wendy123 New Member

Dec 2, 2020

New
    A moment ago

I received similar scores. I just took mine on November 25th. Did you receive your scores in 10 days? What did your percentages equal out to in scores?

12. Abcteach77

Abcteach77 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020

Hi @TeacherGroupie - I took the vcla writing and my unofficial score for the multiple choice was 68%. I did finish both essays, but barely.
    I got a 77% on the reading subtest and my official score for that was 235.
    Is there any possible chance that I passed the writing with a 68%? I’m feeling incredibly defeated and so upset.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  13. Abcteach77

Abcteach77 Rookie

Dec 20, 2020

Hi @wendy123 Wendy - did you pass?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  14. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Dec 30, 2020

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  15. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Dec 30, 2020

I would like to say that this test is not easy for English language learners. Khan Academy is really helpful to practice besides the free sample tests. If English is not your first language, don't wait till last minute to take this test.

I took both subtests multiple times, some tests are harder than others. I had a tough time in the writing essay and summary sections. Luckily, on page 4 of this forum, a post from a member "CiscoKid88" gave me a tip on writing an essay. I followed that format and received +++ on the essay. Use (TEEL) to stay on topic in body paragraphs. (Topic Sentence, Explain, Example, Link). Also, for the summary section, do not mix the concept of paraphrasing with summarizing.

I would admit that for the first two writing test attempts, I did not put any effort into the summary and essay section, and received a score of less than 200. I am posting my scores for others to estimate their raw scores. Do not get discouraged, you will pass eventually. Best of luck to everyone!

Reading 82% = 251
    Reading 82% = 257

Writing 82% = 194
    Summary +
    Essay +

Writing 76% = 186
    Summary +
    Essay +

Writing 71% = 212
    Summary ++
    Essay +

Writing 77% = 211
    Summary +
    Essay +

Writing 80% = 229
    Summary +
    Essay +++

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  16. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Dec 30, 2020

Thank you, Your post is very helpful, I followed this essay format and passed the writing test.

17. Abcteach77

Abcteach77 Rookie

Jan 5, 2021

Hi all -
    I just found out that I didn't pass the VCLA writing. To say that I am crushed is an understatement. I did extremely well on the essays, but did not do so well with finding errors in sentences. I am not sure if I should retake the reading portion or the writing..... I welcome any suggestions or ideas. Please only kind words, I already feel defeated. Thank you!

18. LovePreK

LovePreK New Member

Jan 31, 2021

I'm getting similar if not identical scores on writing. I'm so frustrated I've taken this test 8 times. I can't imagine my writing is this bad.
    My last writing score was 77% summary * essay*
    Today ( yesterday) I took the reading though I would switch it up because I've been taking the writing over each time. I got a 74%. My highest writing score was 227 and my highest reading score was 242 ONE POINT AWAY! I don't think that 74% will take me over that 242 ☹️

19. TWH

TWH New Member

Feb 19, 2021

Vcla
    Raw score
    74 writing and 72 reading
    Do you think I passed?

20. Mrs.Noor

Mrs.Noor New Member

Mar 28, 2021

Hi, I just took the VCLA and scored 97% on the writing multiple choice questions. However, I paced myself poorly, rushed through the summary and was only able to finish the intro paragraph of the final essay. Do you think I have enough cushion to pass?

21. chantal

chantal New Member

Apr 22, 2021

Reading VCLA- raw score 74% official 235
    Writing VCLA - raw score 74% official 235
    I got a +++ on both summary and composition
    passed with exactly 470!!

vickilyn likes this.
  22. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2021

Job well done! It's a wonderful feeling to be done with that test, or at least that's what my son tells me.

23. estreechon

estreechon New Member

Jun 9, 2021

hi i am new to this thread. how did you find your raw scores after you took the test? also, where did you find them? i took the test yesterday.

24. chantal

chantal New Member

Jun 9, 2021

They gave me a paper with my raw scores when I was done taking the test, if you call the place where you took the test they should be able to get it printed out for you.

25. chantal

chantal New Member

Jun 9, 2021

They gave me a paper with my raw scores when I was done taking the test, if you call the place where you took the test they should be able to get it printed out for you.

26. estreechon

estreechon New Member

Jun 9, 2021

i took the test from home.. will i have to wait?

27. Amigojmh

Amigojmh New Member

Jul 7, 2021

Good afternoon. I took my writing part of the VCLA and I got a raw score of 68% I had a lot of time to correct my mistakes on the summary and persuasive essay I hope it would be enough to pass. Does someone know how much a 68% converts to the actual score? Thank you y queue tengan un buen dia.

28. MThomas

MThomas New Member

Jul 10, 2021

Greetings everyone!
    Received my scores today:
    229 for reading (68%)
    222 for writing (82% without writing evaluation)
    451 total score

I did terrible with the writing portion because of time and would like to retake a test. My question is do I retake the writing again since I have more time with composition? And if so, will that new score be used to compute with reading score to pass? Or do I need to retake both since each test did not have a 235 passing standard score? You’re help is truly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!