VCLA Raw Scores???

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by englteacher, May 22, 2011.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 30, 2020

Hugs, Lions. Do you choose an answer, change it, then discover you shouldn't have changed it? If so, try this: don't change your first answer choice unless you could explain to me how it's wrong.

If you took VCLA's writing subtest today (well, yesterday, by now), your 74% is almost certainly based on just the multiple choice questions you faced; if memory serves, those questions account for 50% of possible scaled points on this subtest. At this point, I wouldn't dare predict that you passed. On the other hand, I wouldn't dare predict that you didn't pass. There simply isn't enough information for me to say either way. But let me wish you luck.

2. cswiney

cswiney New Member

Jun 10, 2020

Hello! I’m new to this forum. Anyway, I took the VCLA today and received a raw score of 77% on the reading portion and 74% on the writing portion. I completed both the summary and the essay. On the summary, I wrote three paragraphs, and on the essay I wrote a five paragraph with transitions, thesis statement, etc. The standard five paragraph essay. Do I have a chance of passing with an overall score of 470?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2020

Yes. Your reading score will probably be above the 235 one considers as passing. Your 74% means that is the score for the multiple choice portion of writing, so that half of that portion looks good. What you say you wrote sounds in the ball park of what they want, so I'm going to think that the 470 is in reach. If you don't quite make it, I'm guessing it won't be by much, so you will only need to take one of the two sections again, and you will have the whole 4 hours to take it. Keep us informed - I kind of like to see how these scores play out. Best news is the short wait to get the official scores from the state. Best of luck!

4. cswiney

cswiney New Member

Jun 10, 2020

Thank you! On the VDOE site, 26 out of 35 are required to pass the reading and 29 out of 41 required for the multiple choice writing. With those, I passed both multiple choice sections, now I have to wait on the essay results! I am an English teacher, so I hope my writing is what they wanted!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2020

Hi, cswiney! English-teacher-types tend to suffer a bit with tests like this, because they think the goal is to write beautifully. It isn't: it's to write adequately. If your writing was kind of pedestrian but strictly structured, chances are you'll be fine.

CherryOak likes this.
  6. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2020

Hello All,
    I have been following this page since last year. It is interesting to read others' experiences about taking VCLA. I would like to share my experience now. I took VCLA reading twice and VCLA writing 3 times.

First attempt reading 82% = 251

First attempt writing 82% = 194
    I performed really bad in the writing portion and received only 1 +

Second attempt writing 76% = 186
    Again, I received only 1 + in the writing portion.

The second attempt reading 82% = 257
    I thought I can bring my score up, but it went up by 6 points only.

Today, after the third attempt of the writing test, the raw score is 71% :( I am so sad. (I did better in writing portion this time)

I will update you all with the score in ten days. I am not very hopeful to pass it this time as well, but any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  7. VAMath

VAMath Rookie

Aug 12, 2020

Hi
    I am in the same boat. Last week I got 71% on writing (2nd attempt) and waiting for my official score. I think I corrected the errors of the three sentences. I wrote summery and essay better this time.

41* multiple choice [41 points] + 3* rewriting questions (correcting 2 errors and single sentence = 2+1) [9 points] = 50%

Summery [20%] + Essay [30%] = 50%

So, the writing score mostly depends on structured questions. ( I am expecting at least ++ for those questions this time). Good Luck !

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  8. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2020

Thank you for your reply. In the first two writing attempts, I knew that I did worse in both composition sections. But this time, I tried to do better, I am hoping to get some points from summary and essay. English is a second language for me, so, I take longer than others to read and write something. Please, keep us updated with your results.
    Good Luck to you as well.

9. VAMath

VAMath Rookie

Aug 13, 2020

Thank you. I will update once I get the final score.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2020

@SPED-Teacher and @VAMath, my sympathies. Do your score reports give information about your performance on VCLA other than your overall raw scores and your scaled scores? If so, what are you seeing?

11. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2020

Hello TeacherGroupie,
    In my first two writing attempts, I received only 1 + for the summary, essay, and sentence correction. Both times, I didn't do well for writing sections and that is my weakest area. I took a writing test the third time:( I was able to correct one sentence, and I did better in summary and essay. However, I lost points in multiple questions and received 71% only.
    I just hope to pass and get a score of 213 this time.

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  12. VAMath

VAMath Rookie

Aug 14, 2020

Hi TeacherGroupie !
    In my first writing attempt, I got 74% raw and 202 final (just needed 209 ! :( for composite score)
    English is my second language.I had no time to complete both summery and essay.No proof-reading. I got only one + for those questions.
    This time I expect at least ++ for them.

*** Your recommendation; "501 Grammar and Writing Questions" book was really helpful !

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2020

Do the score reports offer any diagnostics to suggest areas in which your writings and/or multiple choice performance need to improve? (I can't recall whether VCLA score reports offer diagnostic indicators or performance indicators, but most teacher tests do.)

14. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

I need Improvement in writing an essay and summary. :( scores do not tell me which mistakes I need to fix for essay and summary.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  15. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

I received my scores today and I missed passing it by 1 point. I needed 213 and received 212. :(

16. VAMath

VAMath Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

I also failed by 1 point. What a disappointment !
    My summary and essay were not successful again.
    Thinking about next steps.:(:(:(

17. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

18. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

I am thinking to take both subtests separately again. It is very frustrating but I don't see any other option. I got ++ in summary but only + in the essay. I think I did a better job this time in both writing sections compare to the last two attempts. I am not sure if requesting to rescore will make any difference. I followed a five-paragraph format with a topic sentence in each body paragraph. :( I am not sure what else to do.

19. VAMath

VAMath Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

I couldn't believe that I got just one + for the summary this time. I am thinking of a rescore request but not sure if it will work for me. Failing by a point is so frustrating !

20. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

21. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

I read a few comments on this forum that requests to rescore does not make any difference.:(

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2020

Hugs, SPED-Teacher. Do you know how to write a "five-paragraph essay"?

23. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

24. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 22, 2020

VCLA results show that I don't know that.:confused:

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2020

Awww, SPED-Teacher, I didn't mean to make you feel worse. More hugs.

The VCLA summary task is a strictly analytical task: from the article, report the author's thesis or main idea, supporting arguments, and most important evidence, in order. Judging from the samples on the VCLA website, scorers won't mind if the test taker's phrasing echoes the author's, as long as the highlights are captured - but scorers do not want to see comments on the truth of the thesis or the adequacy of the argumentation. If you know how to outline to distinguish thesis from major points from minor points, try outlining the article and then expanding it back into a concise couple of paragraphs.

The VCLA composition task is unusual among basic-skills writing tasks in that, rather than presenting a prompt ("In light of COVID, should high schools suspend their fall sports programs?") and expecting the test taker to devise a thesis statement and supporting arguments, its prompt supplies a thesis statement for each of two opposed sides plus a sketch of some arguing points in support of each side. The test taker's task is to choose one of those sides, to develop that side by using the supporting arguments given and supplying evidence, and to counter the arguing points that the prompt gives to support the other side. Judging from the samples on the VCLA website, scorers won't mind if the test taker's phrasing of the thesis and the supporting points mimics the phrasing in the prompt; they won't demand high-flown academic prose; they will be satisfied by evidence drawn from personal experience ("My cousin was exposed to COVID in March during lacross practice) or observation ("Advertisements for masks are all over Facebook") or with vague attributions "Studies indicate that aerosols play a role in making COVID communicable") - though the test taker who can name an expert by name, should - and even an apt quotation from literature can work. Scorers certainly want to see prose that is reasonably correct, with a decent grasp of the rules of English grammar (sentence structure, verb forms), common idioms, vocabulary, and mechanics (spelling, punctuation, capitalization) - but they do not expect perfection as long as errors are few enough not to be distracting.

SPED-Teacher likes this.
  26. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2020

27. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2020

TeacherGroupie,

Thank you so much for the detailed tips and encouragement. I will definitely keep that in my mind during my next attempt. I truly appreciate it.:angel: I am not giving up, I only need 1 more point to pass it, and I will try again with both subtests to gain 1 more point. :praying:

On my last attempts, I actually avoided using their given arguing points or evidence but I followed their thesis statement. I mean, I only took their thesis statement ("In light of COVID, should high schools suspend their fall sports programs?"). Then I came up with my own three examples. I started with a topic sentence and wrote three supporting paragraphs, started with general to a specific writing style, then ended my paragraph with only one example (my brain couldn't think of the second one at the end of that test) and a conclusion sentence. I avoided the counter argument paragraph because I was afraid to make more mistakes.

When I saw only 1 +, I started to doubt myself that maybe I read the prompt wrong and wrote totally something else. I actually got easy prompts twice. but getting 1 + is just very confusing. They do not explain the mistakes and what do I have to fix in my writing.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2020

At this point, SPED-Teacher, I think it doesn't matter where in VCLA you get that additional point, as long as you can get it. But I also think you've been working too hard on aspects on which VCLA expected you to expend less effort.

Let me deal with some points of terminology.

"In light of COVID, should high schools suspend their fall sports programs?" is, as I said, a prompt: it's intended to elicit a thesis statement, but it is not generally itself a thesis statement.

A thesis statement is the overarching arguing point that an essay makes: quite literally, it states the essay's thesis. A very skilled writer can make a question like "In light of COVID, should high schools suspend their fall sports programs?" function as a thesis statement, though the skilled writer would be likelier to opt for "In light of COVID, shouldn't high schools suspend their fall sports programs?" - and the negation there is crucial. For an average writer, however, or a test taker who simply wants to get the darned test passed, it's much less work to reframe the yes-no question as either the positive statement or the negative statement that the question entails: "In light of COVID, high schools should suspend their fall sports programs" or "High schools should not suspend their fall sports programs, even in light of COVID." But VCLA feeds the test taker both a positive and a negative thesis statement, and the wise VCLA taker will accept the given thesis statement and run with it.

A topic sentence is like a very local thesis statement: it has scope only over a supporting paragraph. "If the high school football season continues, players are at high risk of contracting COVID" could be a topic sentence under the overarching claim that fall sports should be suspended, as long as the paragraph it introduces lays out the reasons for this.

SPED-Teacher likes this.
  29. Petlover

Petlover Rookie

Aug 26, 2020

Hi Everyone,
    Please help me with the Writing Portion of the VCLA test. I hve taken this 3 times and highest score has been a 229. I am unsure what else to do with this test... I am frustated as well as sad. I am interested in any information you may have to help me recieve a passing score. As for the Summary portion, each time I scored a +. Persuasive Passage I have always recieved +++.... so how is it I can write a persuasive and not a summary....HELLLLLPPPPPPPP

Here is an overview of my scores.
    1. Understand the influence of purpose and audience in written communication...................................................................... +++
    2. Apply principles of unity, focus, and development in writing........................................................++
    3. Apply principles of organization in writing ++
    4. Apply principles of sentence & paragraph construction in writing..... +
      5. Apply correct usage in Standard English +
      6. Apply knowledge of mechanical conventions in Standard English. .............................................................+
      7. Improve ineffective writing by analyzing and revising sentences.......................................................................................... +
      8. Produce a written summary of a given informational or persuasive passage........................................................................ +
      9. Prepare a developed composition on a given topic............................................................................................................. ++

30. Petlover

Petlover Rookie

Aug 26, 2020

Feeling is mutual I am 19 points away from passing this test if I take the writing test over and score at least a 248...... :((((((

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2020

Welcome to A to Z, Petlover!

Your score breakdown suggests that your biggest issues have to do with paragraph structure, sentence structure, usage, and English mechanics (spelling, punctuation, capitalization). You might find it useful to work through LearningExpress's excellent little book Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day and perhaps also the companion workbook 501 Writing and Grammar Questions. It wouldn't surprise me to find that cleaning up the grammar issues, without any other changes in your approach, will bring up your score on the summary task.

32. futureteacher3333

futureteacher3333 New Member

Sep 16, 2020

Hii
    I am new here and I just recently took my VCLA. I received a raw score of 77% for both the reading and writing sections. I did get to finish the summary and the essay but I ran out of time to fully proof read. Do you think by any chance that I passed?

33. SPED-Teacher

SPED-Teacher Rookie

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:31 PM

Hi VAMath,
    Have you tried to request a rescore?