VCLA Raw Scores???

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by englteacher, May 22, 2011.

1. Petlover

Petlover Rookie

Aug 8, 2019

68% On the Reading
    I received a raw score of a 64% actual score was a 222 prior. I’ve seen someone post up here that 65% raw score is 227. Just wondering what are your thoughts??

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2019

Whether 65% correct (a raw score) on the reading test corresponds to a score of 227 (a scaled score) will depend on the specific version of the reading test that the test taker faced. Versions of a test, and individual questions, inevitably differ in difficulty, and so 65% correct on a less difficult version of a test could represent a lower level of achievement than 64% correct on a more difficult version. Scaling the scores is intended to compensate for those differences. But the result is that any claim that a given percentage (raw) score is always equivalent to a given scaled score is bogus.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 9, 2019

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2019

futuremaths, I surmise that you meant this post for the thread on English Learner policies in California. This thread concerns raw scores on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA).

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 9, 2019

Thank you for catching that! Could you switch it over or is that not possible?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2019

I did try. But while there are things that the current software for A to Z makes easier than the old software did, shifting posts between threads or forums is definitely not among them.

Your best bet is to move it yourself: (a) go to the post that needs to move, (b) click "Edit", (c) copy the text from the edit window, (d) cancel "Edit", (e) locate and open the destination thread either from the Recent Posts window or by navigating to the ESL/ELL forum and rummaging it up, and (f) paste what you've copied into the new-post window there.

Copying from the edit window is not strictly necessary for a URL as short as the one you posted, but it's good to be in the habit of doing so because forum software truncates long URLs for display, so "way_too_honking_many_letters_to_display_in_this_space.qqq" might become "way_too_honking...space.qqq"; the truncated link works as it is supposed to in the original post, but when one copies it from the regular forum page, what gets pasted is likely to be literally "way_too_honking...space.qqq", ellipsis and all, and even if it shows up red like a link it probably won't function as one.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. usfangel

usfangel New Member

Aug 26, 2019

I'm a Special Education major. In May 2019, I took originally the Reading and Writing back to back and ran out time. Previously, I received:
    • Reading subtest 80% =255
    • Writing subtest 54% = 208
    • Total score = 463 (Need 7 points to pass)
    Thursday (8/22/19) I took the VCLA Writing again. I'm praying I've passed this time. This version of test was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I guess it all comes down to my short answer questions and writing section. I have to pass this or I have to wait another semester to take my practicum class/student teaching which I need to graduate. So frustrating and nervous.
    • Writing subtest 60% = ?? (Don't have my scores yet and I'm so nervous.)

8. Michellemandell

Michellemandell New Member

Sep 24, 2019

I just took my VCLA reading and writing. I got a raw score of 82% in reading and 68% in writing....any thoughts on if I passed?!?

9. ExploringTeaching

ExploringTeaching Rookie

Oct 7, 2019

Hello! New user here. I'm a potential career switcher and I just got back from the VCLA. I was curious what this group's thoughts on my passing might be.

I got 85% on the Reading subtest.
    I got 80% on the Writing subtest.

HOWEVER, I only had 20 minutes left by the time I got to the summary and persuasive essay; by this point I was panicked. I was able to bang out 150 words on the summary. I would say it was slightly less to very average.

BUT, I was only able to crank out 200 words (it asked for 300 - 600) on the persuasive essay. It had three very small paragraphs and I tried to tie it up. I hit submit at about 7 seconds left. :)

Anyway, just really curious what more experienced folks might have to say. As for me, I guess I wait 10 days while I swallow the "retake the written portion" pill. I guess I should have researched the test more and realized I was a slower reader. Should have done it in two parts.

I'll make sure to report back with final scores.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 7, 2019

Gut feeling is that you will pass. You did yourself a solid with the reading score. It is going to create some breathing room, since it doesn't have to be 235 in each section, only 470 for the total. You followed with a very nice score on the multiple choice portion of the writing subtest, once again giving yourself more extra points to count on. Your actual writing might be less than stellar, but you won't need a super high score, when you look at the cushion your other scores have given you. No champagne yet, but in only 10 days you will have your email with the final tally, and I'm betting on a passing score.

FYI, my son is a slow reader, and my only "must do" when he signed up to take the test was that I was adamant about breaking it into two days. He passed in a single try, but would never have been able to do that in a single day of testing. I'm guessing that your other scores will carry you to success, but if you do have to retest, it will only be the writing.

Let us know how you did.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    ExploringTeaching likes this.
  11. ExploringTeaching

ExploringTeaching Rookie

Oct 9, 2019

I can't thank you enough for your kind words and support. You'll get me through this trying 10 day wait. I have prepared myself for both scenarios. Will keep you in the loop!

vickilyn likes this.
  12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 16, 2019

Hoping that you have passed the test and are on to bigger and better things!

13. ExploringTeaching

ExploringTeaching Rookie

Oct 17, 2019

Thanks for thinking about me! I'm still waiting on the results. If they stick to the 10 business day agreement, I should know today or tomorrow by 10PM EST. Will definitely report back as soon as I hear from them; I'm chomping at the bit to know.

In the meantime, I was able to pass the Praxis 5038 (ELA 6-12), which I wrote about on another thread. That was purely multiple choice, which was nice. I have my sights on the Technology Education Praxis next.

vickilyn likes this.
  14. ExploringTeaching

ExploringTeaching Rookie

Oct 18, 2019

Hi again! My VCLA score report *just* came in. Right on the 10th day.

Reading Subtest: 268
    Writing Subtest: 214
    Overall: 482 (PASS)

So, you called it, vickilyn. The reading score saved me. Thanks again for all your help and reassurance.

vickilyn likes this.
  15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 18, 2019

Well done - you put in the work, and had the right skill sets. Best of luck in everything you are shooting for!

ExploringTeaching likes this.