VCLA Raw Scores???

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by englteacher, May 22, 2011.

1. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 14, 2018

No problem and looking forward to the passing score!!

Sterleemz likes this.
  2. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018

Yeah, I don’t think they like my writing..... 212 for a scaled score..... It is very upsetting. I have to pass this thing. Plus I have to take the Praxis 5306 RVE: Elementary and Special Education to keep my license.... I am destroyed right now..

3. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018

I got a scaled score of a 1 on my essay. I don’t see how I wrote about the topic they have me. I wrote a 5 paragraph essay with an introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and a conclusion... So I don’t know.

4. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 23, 2018

That doesn't make sense. Have you used the VCLA website? There are sample essays that should guide you on writing the essays for the actual exam. That's what I used to help me pass the second time. You will pass eventually. Are you a native English speaker?

5. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018

Yeah, my wife is an English teacher as well. Yeah I studied the practice test and blueprints. Yeah I looked at those and followed that same format. I am a native English speaker even though Spanish was a second language in my house growing up my dad was Panamanian. I did have a learning disability growing up, but did not receive special education services for it. It was nothing major just ADD/ADHD. However, I worked hard and earned my undergraduate (Hisoty) and graduate degree (Special Education) so a learning disability means nothing to me. I don’t know just tough to swallow. I did so well except for the essay and the rewriting of sentences..

6. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 23, 2018

I think you can ask for them to re-score the essays. At least two people read over what you have. In the guide some where there should be a place where they explain how the writing is graded. You have a great score on the reading which sets you ahead so far. You're going to definitely pass so sign up again ASAP. It sounds suspicious that you got a 212 after taking it for a second time. These tests it seems like they want you to fail so they can get more money out of you. Keep practicing because you will pass eventually.

CiscoKid88 likes this.
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2018

Hugs, Cisco.

Your score report contains diagnostic indicators that show, for the various domains and/or performance characteristics covered by the test, roughly how well you did. What are you seeing?

CiscoKid88 likes this.
  8. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

Well let’s see,

understand the influence of purpose and audience in written communication I got a 4.

Apply principles of unity focus and development I got a 2

Apply principles of organizational writing I got a 4

Apply principles of sentence and paragraph construction in writing I got a 1

Apply correct usage in standard English I got a 3

Apply knowledge of mechanical convention in standard English I got a 1

Improve ineffective writing by analyzing and revising sentences I got a 1

Produce a written summary of a given informational or persuasive passage I got a 2

Prepare a developed composition on a given topic I got a 1

Those are the break downs.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2018

You have some issues in summarizing and in developing a composition, but your biggest problem areas seem to be sentence construction and correction (that is, correct grammar) and mechanics (spelling, punctuation). LearningExpress's Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day, or the equivalent electronic product, is likely to help with the sentence-level and paragraph-level issues and some of the mechanics issues, and it's affordable; there's also a book of the same size and shape under the title of 501 Grammar and Writing Questions with explained answers.

For spelling, the best bet is to use only words that you know you can spell. English has a reputation for chaotic spelling that is commonly overstated; Barron's book Painless Spelling is an affordable and clear exposition of the patterns that do exist, and you can probably find a decent range of vocabulary that fits patterns that are more comfortable for you.

CiscoKid88 and futuremathsprof like this.
  10. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

Thank for your help. It has been driving me crazy how to properly understand the scoring sheet. I found 501 grammar and writing online and currently looking for writing skills success in 20 minutes a day. Now as composition I really thought they wanted a persuasive essay?

11. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 24, 2018

"Now as composition I really thought they wanted a persuasive essay?" I'm not trying to be negative but I keep seeing sentences like this one in your writing. I know it's a blog and people don't usually proofread but saying "now as composition" doesn't sound right. "Now as for the compostion" would sound correct. I just wanted to point that out to help you. Get in a habit of proofreading to build better writing habits. I hated proofreading but if I make a lengthy post, like on Facebook, I usually proofread because there are usually a couple of errors.

CiscoKid88 and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. AppJetty

AppJetty Guest

Mar 26, 2018

I'll agree with mollydoll: chances are you'll need to retake the writing section.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 26, 2018

:yeahthat:

14. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Thank you. Yes, I did not proofread after writing that the other day. I ordered an nes writing subtest II study guide for help. I ordered those two books teachergroupie mentioned, and going to give it another shot because that’s what I have to do. I didn’t get my masters in education for nothing. This really has me depressed though. I am on a provisional license and I’m trying to get all this out of the way before June. I proofread over my essay 3 times before finishing so it has to be my mechanics. I will keep you posted. Thank you all for your help.

15. CanIdoit

CanIdoit Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Hi,
    I am crushed and in tears because I took the VCLA Writing Subtest and I have 62%. On the Reading, I got a score of 251. I was able to finish the short summary and the essay, however, I am not confident in my grammar and the quality of my expressions. English is my second language, which of course, cannot be my excuse to score poorly. I spent ~ $1000 on private lessons and the results are devastating.
    I know that learning a novel language takes time...I do not have time.
    I am aware that I need more help and that is why I am begging you for information. I need a tutor who has experience preparing foreigners. Also, I need more practice tests. The two test on the VCLA website ate not enough.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  16. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

I wouldn't stress out about it. There is no point in getting depressed over it. I have a Master's Degree in Math Ed. and I failed the first go around. Writing was never my strength but I have gotten better after going through school. You are going to pass it so don't worry.

The link is with one of my former professors who helped us with reviewing for the NY State Exams. The ALST is similar to the VCLA and he gives good pointers on how to study for the exam.

17. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

My wife is a foreigner from the wonderful country of Brazil. She is fluent in Portuguese, Spanish, and English. She is almost done with her Bachelor's Degree in Spanish with a minor in ESL. We could try to work something out in regards for tutoring. She would definitely be able to get you to pass the exam. She knows English better than me and I'm a native speaker lol. Based off your response it seems like your English is pretty good with English being your second language. No point in dwelling on the past and to move forward with confidence.

CanIdoit likes this.
  18. CanIdoit

CanIdoit Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

Thanks, Ash G.
    I made a mistake - my reading score was 251, not 151. The adrenaline does not allow me to focus even 2 hours after the exam.

19. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

You did a retake on the writing? You can still possibly pass with a 62% if you did well enough on the essays/short responses. I would just wait and see at the moment.

usfangel likes this.
  20. CanIdoit

CanIdoit Rookie

Mar 26, 2018

I took the writing once, today. I am planning to go to a walk-in center this Thursday and retake the writing subtest. I just registered for it.
    In my country, there is an expression: "If you want to take someone's money, take his brain away." This is happening to me know...

Ash G likes this.
  21. lawone

lawone New Member

Mar 28, 2018

Took the VCLA today. Printout gave me 82% reading and 82% writing. Based on info on this board, can I assume that I passed?

22. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 28, 2018

If you completed the essays and did alright on them then I would say you passed.

23. lawone

lawone New Member

Mar 28, 2018

I think I did ok on the essay part but now I am questioning myself. Was there a specific requirement for the number of words that had to be included? I know the summary part was just that-- a summary. But the essay--- ?

24. CanIdoit

CanIdoit Rookie

Mar 28, 2018

Summary - 150-200 words
    Essay - 300-600 words

25. lawone

lawone New Member

Mar 28, 2018

Thanks. I don't remember seeing the word number requirement in the instructions?

26. CanIdoit

CanIdoit Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

27. CanIdoit

CanIdoit Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Hi Ash G,
    I can not believe that I passed VCLA. I have 220 on the Writing Subtest. I am the happiest person. Hurray!

Joyful! and futuremathsprof like this.
  28. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Congratulations and I knew you were going to pass!!!!!! As we say in Portuguese Parabens!!!!!!

CanIdoit likes this.
  29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2018

Congratulations, CanIdoit!

CanIdoit likes this.
  30. CanIdoit

CanIdoit Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

For the future test takers, here are my test results:
    Reading 82% - 251
    Writing 62% - 220 (3 points - summary and essay)

Ash G likes this.
  31. Ashley Tyler

Ashley Tyler Rookie

May 17, 2018

I took the reading and writing exams last week. I got an 80% on reading and 60% on writing. I think I passed the reading but not sure about writing. I was able to complete my essays and I feel confident in them.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  32. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

May 18, 2018

If you wrote solid essays then I would say you passed. I think it will be close once you get your final scores. It's not the end of the world if you have to do a re-take on the writing only. You will have 4 hours to complete the whole test instead of 2 hours. I personally had to take the writing over because I didnt have enough time to complete the essays.

33. Ashley Tyler

Ashley Tyler Rookie

May 18, 2018

Fingers crossed that I did well on my essays. If not, like you said, at least I can focus more on my Writing Exam if that is the only one I have to take. The waiting part is the hardest! Thanks so much for replying.

Ash G likes this.
  34. TeachofGod

TeachofGod New Member

May 18, 2018

Hello everyone,
    I got my results today and thanks to the Lord, I passed!
    This forum has been very helpful to me and I thought I should at least share my scores.
    Reading subtest 80% =255
    Writing subtest 62% = 213 ( I got 1 in the summary and 3 in the composition essay)
    Total score= 468 didn't pass

Final scores :
    Reading subtest :255
    Writing subtest 80%= 232 (3 in each essay)
    Total score =487 passed

Guys, I have been there, and I feel your pain. This test isn't easy but you'll eventually pass . God bless you all!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  35. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

May 19, 2018

What did you study for the essay? I have been trying to find so much study material for the writing portion and prompt. The essay is a persuasive essay right? I have to take it again. Third time is a charm right? I have got a score of 192 and 213... My reading score is a 251. So I need a 219, or higher.

36. TeachofGod

TeachofGod New Member

May 19, 2018

Ciscokid88,

Honestly, I just used all the practice exams to study/practice. Yes, the composition essay is persuasive.

CiscoKid88 likes this.
  37. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

May 20, 2018

I have another question for anyone. What format did you use for the summary and the essay? My essay I stated the opinions of both sides, my opinion and 3 reason why. I did my three body paragraphs (first, furthermore, and finally) and conclusion (in conclusion). In my conclusion I stated the counterclaim, restated my thesis, then gave my if/then statement. My summary I got 2 points I don’t know how I did it, but I was shocked when I saw it. What format do we use to write the summary and persuasive essay?

38. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

May 20, 2018

I have another question for everyone. What format did you use for the summary and the essay? In my essay I stated the opinions of both sides, my opinion and 3 key points. I did my three body paragraphs (first, furthermore, finally). Then I followed up with my conclusion (in conclusion) where I stated the counterclaim, restated my thesis, then gave my if/then statement. Is that what they are looking for? Also, what any types on writing a summary? I got a 2 on my summary I was shocked by that.

39. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

May 25, 2018

How did you do? I just took the writing subtest again today. I got a raw score of 77%. I am just hoping that was enough to get me over a 212. All I need is a 219.

40. Ashley Tyler

Ashley Tyler Rookie

May 25, 2018

I passed my reading part with a 243, but I didn’t pass my writing part. I got a 191-which I am very shocked about. I felt really confident in the essays. How are we suppose to write our summary of 150-200 words? 3 paragraph form correct? For the composition it should be 5 paragraph form? I am not sure why I am having this much trouble with the writing portion. I know I need to look at the big picture and be thankful I passed my reading.

CiscoKid88 likes this.