VCLA Raw Scores???

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by englteacher, May 22, 2011.

1. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Aug 11, 2017

I bet only Pearson can give you an exact number as it is scaled and the pertcentage to scaled score conversion probably isn't guaranteed to be equal across test versions. Waiting is so hard, but it will pass!

Ash G likes this.
  2. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

I'm almost guaranteeing you got a different version of the test compared to someone else. Hence why your test is scaled based off what you did on that specific test. So even if someone else got a 77% your scaled scores still might be different. I would say that it's close overall and no matter even if you passed or failed by a few points you can make up for it on the writing test. I wouldn't stress out about it and good luck.

CherryOak likes this.
  3. LA02

LA02 Guest

Aug 11, 2017

Hi, I just took my VCLA today as well and scored an 82% on Reading and a 65% on writing. I believe that my writing score is pretty low so I'm not sure if I will pass. I'm quite shocked as I write many essays a semester for school and always do well. I have no idea what happened on the test. I'm hoping the two written portions will bring up my score. I'm pretty upset as I am taking two grad courses, a science course, and an independent study in the fall. I'm sure everyone here has a similar schedule but just feel overwhelmed and needed to vent....

4. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

Hey, LA02 hang in there and I understand that you want to vent. I have been there and what stinks about the situation is that you want that scaled score immediately but you can't get it quickly. You had similar scores to me and I missed passing the entire test by 7 points. I got a 68% on the writing that scaled to a 206 or 207. It's in another post on this forum if you scroll backwards. What I can say is that I did absolutely horrible on the writing. I did the two essays in 30 minutes and I wasn't able to proofread. The time is what killed me because I tried to take both tests at the same time. I would have passed the first go around if I took them separately. If you think you did well on the essays and were able to proofread then you probably passed. Again I failed by 7 points with atrocious essays so I'm assuming that you passed. DON'T STRESS and good luck!!

5. naiamvp

naiamvp Guest

Oct 31, 2017

Can someone give me insight? I scored 77 on the reading and 80 on the writing. I was unable to proofread what I wrote so I have no idea how I did. The time really runs out fast on the test. Can someone give me an idea how I possibly did?

6. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Nov 1, 2017

Hey, if you go to the previous page you will find my explanation of my scores and what I got. I would say it's going to be close based off how they grade your essays and short answer responses.

7. Alson

Alson New Member

Nov 6, 2017

I just completed the VCLA test and received a score of 77% on the reading and 74% on the writing. I completed the first essay but wasn't able to complete the second one. If anyone have similar scores can you please share your results. Thx

8. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Nov 6, 2017

Read my previous post on my scaled scores. I would say based off your scores and not finishing on the writing you most likely didn't pass that individual test. You might have passed the reading but it's going to be close. Plan on taking the writing over by itself. Remember you just need a 470 overall to pass the VCLA so one poorer score can me made up with another score.

9. Alson

Alson New Member

Nov 6, 2017

Okay thx. One more question not sure if you will have answer or not but do you know if points are given for partial completing the essay? I was able to write 235 words out of 300 before it timed out.

Ash G likes this.
  10. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Nov 6, 2017

Yes, you should get some credit for not finishing your essay. It all depends on the grader and how much of the question was answered. I had to re-take my writing because my essays were both done in 30 minutes. If you have to take it again I wouldn't stress out about it. You will have 4 hours to take the writing instead of just 2 hours which will give you plenty of time to finish. Time is of the essence when taking both the reading and writing at the same time. I would go to the VCLA website and focus on their sample essays. I didn't really take advantage of the free resources the first time around. It will help you narrow down what the exam is looking for when writing the essays.

11. Alson

Alson New Member

Nov 6, 2017

Ok, I pray that I don't have to retake it. Thank you so much for all of your help! I truly appreciate it!

Ash G likes this.
  12. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Nov 6, 2017

You can still possibly pass. I wouldn't stress out about it and just try to wait patiently for the results. No problem with the help because I know how it feels once you take the test. Take care

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 6, 2017

Here’s hoping you passed! I would hate having to retake a test because it would cost more time and money.

14. Alson

Alson New Member

Nov 8, 2017

Thank you futuremathspro!

15. Kevinpettrey

Kevinpettrey Guest

Nov 15, 2017

I am assuming that my 100% on reading subtest and 88% on writing subtest, and finishing all essays is going to be pretty safe based on this thread.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2017

I very rarely make guarantees, Kevinpettrey - it's remarkably common for bright and skilled people to get so busy being original, crafting intricate sentences, or deploying sesquipedalian vocabulary that they forget that the object of a basic-skills writing assignment is to write structured, coherent, standard-English, Five-Paragraph-Essay-style prose - but, yes: if your essays were adequate in terms of sticking to the point, supporting the point, and not flouting the conventions of English, your chances of passing are quite good.

17. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Nov 16, 2017

You passed with those scores unless you wrote your essays in Portuguese. Even if you wrote your essays in Portuguese you probably still passed lol. Those are very high marks and are unheard of. Congrats!!

18. Anniesa

Anniesa Guest

Nov 22, 2017

Hi, I'm new to this forum. But has been following all the posts. They are very helpful. Today I finished my VCLA and scored 88%in reading and 80% in writing. Essays need to be scored and I'm not a very good writer. Can anyone tell me if they are good scores to pass?

19. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Nov 23, 2017

Hi Anniesa! Your reading score is solid and it's done. I'm not sure about the writing since the essays must be evaluated for it. Time will tell.

20. Rickey Pulliam

Rickey Pulliam Rookie

Nov 26, 2017

I made a 88 on reading and a 74 on writing if anyone can tell ne what the 88 in reading will scale to please post!!

21. Rickey Pulliam

Rickey Pulliam Rookie

Nov 27, 2017

Please post your reading score !!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2017

Rickey, dear, please don't make me do what I can't. There's a fair bit of flex in what 88 raw in reading can scale to. With that said, I must note that VCLA probably doesn't care whether you aced the test or you barely squeaked by, and I really don't see an 88 as barely squeaking by.

23. TeachWithPassion

TeachWithPassion Rookie

Feb 12, 2018

It seems like everyone has had luck on their side with this but I’m not sure I’ll be as fortunate... today I took the VCLA and I received the unofficial reading subtest score of 91% and for the writing subtest I received an unofficial score of 88%... however I literally ran out of time before the written response sections. I was only able to finish ALL multiple choice answers. What are the odds that I’ve actually passed without even seeing or answering any of the open- ended questions? ... I’m panicking because I need to have passed for licensure this month

24. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Feb 12, 2018

This person passed with this....... I'm new to the site. I took the VCLA this Friday and earned a 71% on the Reading subtest and a 91% on the Writing subtest. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and was unable to complete either of the essays (summary or argument.)
    Are these passing scores? Will I be able to pass the Writing subtest without the essays?

Thank you for your responses..........

You should be in good shape if you didn't do the essays with those scores.

25. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Feb 12, 2018

Here is another one.....

I passed the VCLA :)
    I am including my unofficial scores as a reference for future VCLA test takers:)
    Reading subtest 85%=280
    Writing subtest 85% =224 (without summary and argument)
    Highest total score=504 (required passing score was 470)

You should be in great shape actually......

Keep everyone posted and I would say Congrats at this point.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  26. TeachWithPassion

TeachWithPassion Rookie

Feb 12, 2018

Thanks

27. TeachWithPassion

TeachWithPassion Rookie

Feb 12, 2018

So even without doing the sentence edits as well as essays I am in good shape!!!???!!!

28. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Feb 17, 2018

Yes, I think so. Let's just say you did fail, like I did, you can retake the writing and have 4 hours to complete it instead of 2. I'm pretty sure you passed but if you didn't you will surely pass the second time. I passed after the second time and writing is not my strength.

TeachWithPassion likes this.
  29. TeachWithPassion

TeachWithPassion Rookie

Feb 17, 2018

Because of licensure I don’t have time to have to take it again so I’m freaking out hoping I pulled it off

30. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Feb 17, 2018

It's possible you don't pass but you most likely passed I think. Good luck!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  31. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 17, 2018

I really hope you passed. I would hate for you to have to wait to start your licensure program because that’s added stress and more money down the drain...

32. TeachWithPassion

TeachWithPassion Rookie

Feb 21, 2018

I am finishing my Masters and Licensure program through GMU. I am at the end of the road and if I have to take this test over I am going to be way beyond the Due date to turn in my License upgrade packet. That is why I'm so stressed!

33. TeachWithPassion

TeachWithPassion Rookie

Feb 23, 2018

I did not pass as my total score was 454 and you need 470. My only finishing multiple choice made me fail the writing test. So now my question is do I have to take both again or can I just take writing?

34. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 23, 2018

I’m so sorry to hear you did not pass, but like another poster said, you do not have to retake the sections that you already passed. You only have to retake the writing section and so you can just focus on that section.

35. TeachWithPassion

TeachWithPassion Rookie

Feb 23, 2018

And will I have the same amount of time as I did before?

36. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 24, 2018

If I am reading this correctly, then you have 4 hours.

http://www.va.nesinc.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_Tests.html

Edit: You only have to retake a section if you scored below a 235 for it. If you got at least 235 for the reading section, then you only have to retake the writing section again.

37. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Feb 25, 2018

You will have 4 hours to take the writing section. You will pass the second go around of the test. Getting an 88% on the multiple choice is a solid score and you will now have double the time to take the test. Don't sweat it and push forward like LeBron James did for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

38. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018

So I got a 83% on the reading my first go around and scaled a 251. I got a 64% on the writing my first go around and scaled a 192. I retook the writing and got a raw score of a 74%. After looking all around the forum I’ve noticed that at 74% is anywhere between a 222-224. What are my chances I got the 219 points I need to pass?

39. Ash G

Ash G Rookie

Mar 14, 2018

One of my posts I stated my 71% on the writing scaled to a 230. As long as you did decent on the essays/short responses I think you at least scored a 219. Keep everyone posted and I honestly would be surprised if you didn't pass.

CiscoKid88 likes this.
  40. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 14, 2018

Thank you for that. I think I did decent this time the first time I did horrible because I only a few minutes to write the summary and essay. This time I had over about an hour to do it. I think I got over a 219 hopefully in the 222-246 range would be great. Next Friday I get my score back and will keep you updated.

Ash G likes this.