Variation of Number Bear

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MsTeckel, Sep 1, 2009.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

Has anyone used or made up a variation of the number bear? I really love the idea, but I need to make it myself. I need it pretty sturdy for my class. I teach in a day school for kids with autism.

Those who do it, do you add a set of things every week? I know you focus on one number a month and you add four sets of things? Such as four flowers, then four balloons and so on.

Has anyone used another animal? Anyone make something different or used a different bear? Ive been looking at the weather bears, but they are normally naked, so its hard to add buttons and pockets to their vest. I guess I could make then clothes, then laminate them while they are on the bear.

Thanks.

Amy

3. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

What is a number bear? Does each student have his/her own?

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

:yeahthat:

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

I'm guessing the number bear is the bear poster used in Everyday in Pre-K Math. This year I purchased the curriculum. The bear is part of an interactive bulletin board math curriculum that takes about 20 minutes each day.

I am new to the curriculum so I'll wait until tomorrow when I get back to the classroom (and teacher's manual) to give the details. I know there are a few teachers here that are experienced with the curriculum. Maybe someone will answer the question before then.

The bear is a laminated poster. I laminated it again. I used that temporary sticky tape from Lakeshore on the poster to hold the counting articles. It works well.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

7. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

Dzenna, thanks for explaining!

TeacherSandra, thanks for the link!

I love that it is interactive it seems as though it would be very beneficial, and, also fun for students.

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

I am in my classroom now. We started with the Number Bear today. He has the following accessories: balloons, flowers, pockets, buttons. His hat has the number we are counting. Today we did 2 and put up 2 of each accessory.

The Bear has two clear pockets at the bottom of the chart. We put two items in the pocket and count them.

At the top of the Number Bear chart is another pocket which houses counting cards that have activities. A new activity is presented each month. This month we are doing
    1. Lets work out- physical motions to match the number. 1 is clap, 2 is jump. I call out 1-1-2. clap clap jump.

9. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

I do a variation of the number bear. Each month I change the theme. For Sept, it's spots on a frog, Oct, teeth on a Jack-o-Lantern, Nov, feathers on a Turkey, etc. Here's how it goes. The children roll a large foam dice, count the dots and then add that many spots/teeth/feathers to the frog/Jack/Turkey. Then they choose the number card that matches and place it on top. (These were all made and laminated by me) Then they get to choose three exercises (jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, etc) for the class to do together that many times. We do this each day at circle time.

10. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

oooooooo I like that, good idea. I know this is preschool, but what number do you go up to? I teach students with autism ages 5-13 and we go up to 30 normally (there are some kids who know up to 100). I want to incorporate writing the number as well....interesting. I like that idea. Thanks!

I thought bout just doing numbers 0-9 because the purpose of it is to practice our writing and forming of the numbers without doing it on a worksheet or planning out a special time for it.

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 3, 2009

In the beginning of the year, I only went up to 6 (the numbers on one die), then I used two dice and went up to 12. Towards the end of the year, I also incorporated writing the number and counting up to that number. (They wrote the number on the white board). You could use however many dice you would like.

12. rosew

rosew Companion

Sep 4, 2009

I plan on doing a number bear..i bought a dj inker weather bear I am going to use..we go up to 20 and do one number a week..just not sure what Im going to put on him yet..I cant do more than one or two different items.because its going to be a tight squeeze..maybe buttons and balloons

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

I've seen that bear. He's cute.

14. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

picture of number bear

Here is a picture below of the number bear in my classroom. We scanned him into the computer and now we do number bear on the ActivBoard every day instead of using the hard copy. This way we can change him up to do what a pp suggested for the different seasons and holidays. For example, in October we put a spider web and the students have to count 3 spiders in the web, there are 3 pumpkins on the fence, apples in the bobbing for apples barrel, a trick-or-treat bag they have to count 3 pieces of candy into, and 3 bats flying in the sky.

[​IMG]

15. rosew

rosew Companion

Sep 5, 2009

wow I love that idea..vanna your site is where i got the whole number bear idea..

thanks

rose

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2009

that bear is just so cute!