VANDALIZED Student of the Week Sign

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ms_chandler, Dec 17, 2006.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

This is a little bit odd...

Each week, I have a student of the week. I put a certificate inside of a sheet protector that I have hanging out in the hall. It's easy to slip one in and slip it out. Since this is the end of 2nd Quarter, I put a sign out saying all of the names of the students for 2nd Quarter that got Student of the Week.

When we came from lunch on Friday, I noticed that one of the names was drawn over. It was actually scratched through so that it ripped through the sheet protector a little bit. Of course, the girl whose name it was happened to be in that class. We both noticed it at the same time. Another student pointed it out. I was shocked. It was obviously that whoever vandalized this was out to get this one student. There was a list of 8 names, and only hers was scratched through.

I teach 7th graders, and they are very self-conscious at this age. I just said, "Cassandra, someone is being really silly (I avoid saying "stupid") and messing around." She thankfully said, "I don't care if someone doesn't like me." We went inside and I tried to forget about this situation.

I didn't have any more sheet protectors with me at school, so I just reversed it to the other side. But, it will be hanging for another 3 days until vacation. I am afraid someone will do it again. I feel badly for the girl, and I am infuriated. I even thought about putting a sign up saying something about the consequences of vandalism. I don't want whoever this is to think that they can get away with it and I'll just keep replacing things.

Any suggestions? Has this ever happened to you?
    :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2006

Sorry this happened to you and to your student. It is unfortunate and was done by a jealous vindictive person. Just start over with a clean page protector- page protectors are cheap. I would keep replacing it as many times as it was vandalized.

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Dec 17, 2006

That's too bad for everyone involved. Could you post your student's name inside your classroom, where you can keep a better eye on it? Or in the hallway, but at a spot so high that is harder to reach. What a pain.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2006

I agree. I don't think I would give the vandal another opportunity to hurt that child's feelings.

6. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Dec 17, 2006

I think it may have to be in the classroom. I work for a school where signs are burned off the wall over night. It isn't fair, but I keep everything inside the classroom (or in locked halls).

7. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions... I do have an entire bulletin board dedicated to the student of the week, but I hand their certificates out in the hallway for everyone to see. This is the first incident all year, but it breaks my heart. I was just stunned to see that. I guess I could stop doing that, but it makes me mad that this would be the cause of doing that, you know? I thought about putting it in a higher spot, but then it won't be that easy to see.... sigh.... I'll figure it out.

teach 4th - BURNED off the walls?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2006

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that as well???

9. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

Oh, I also thought about hanging a REFERRAL SLIP next to the certificate... LOL

10. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

Note on the referral: "If you remove a name, put your name here."

11. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Dec 17, 2006

Yep, burned. It is something that happens at my school over night. Apparently it is usually one guy who is in and out of jail, but I wouldn't even think of putting something outside of my classroom.

12. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

How can someone who's in and out of jail get into the school at night to do that????

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2006

Very strange.

I, too, would be heartbroken to see this happen. Is it a large school? What grades pass by your hallway?

14. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 18, 2006

I teach 7th grade at a jr. high, so that's 7th and 8th grades. I'm right in the main hall near the principal's office. Nothing happened today, but you know I was checking! lol

15. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Dec 18, 2006

Oh, and the school has about 700 students between those 2 grades.