valentines shoe boxes

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jenybear0804, Jan 24, 2010.

1. jenybear0804

jenybear0804 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

I know it is early, but I was wondering if anyone has their students decorate shoe boxes for valentines day. The boxes are decorated at home and then brought in on the day of the party to hold all of the goodies. If you do, can you send me the letter or directions you send home. I really want my kindergartners to do this.
    :thanks:

3. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jan 25, 2010

Hi. This is exactly what I have my students do. I think I posted that here maybe last year. I do not have a set form. I always do something new each year. I just basically tell parents about the boxes, how the child can decorate it, when to bring it in. I do have to emphasize that we will not put goodie bags in the boxes. We save those for the "party" and put in their bookbags. I always have some made up to show the kids. I attach a picture to the note home. My parents have been great about this and so far I have never had a problem. I have extra shoe boxes or ice cream buckets or large plastic coffee "cans" if anyone needs one.

It is wonderful to see the boxes coming in. We line them up on the back counter at the windows so everyone can see them. We get basic ones wrapped in aluminum foil with dinosaur stickers to fancy lace and silk flowers.

Good luck with the boxes. Don't make it complicated. Have fun.

4. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 7, 2010

I just do a note asking parents to help their child decorate a Valentine box or bag in any way they wish. I suggest that they might use a shoe box, empty tissue box, cereal, detergent, or oatmeal box, or even a gift bag. I end the note by saying: have fun doing this project with your child and happy Valentine's Day!

5. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

Feb 8, 2010

I have them decorate a long piece of construction paper. then I attach the paper to the long sides of the box so it looks like a real mailbox. sooo easyyyyy!

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Feb 8, 2010

busybeeZ do you have a pic?! I need to see it. I'm a visual learner!:) How do they drop their valentines in!?