Valentine's Day lesson plans and party ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Feb 13, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 13, 2011

Tomorrow is our valentine's Day party. I missed a few days last week due to a death in the family. I did not have time or felt like planning anything. So now I am trying to come up with a plan. I thought of a craft and maybe musical chairs. What do you do for your party or what activities do you do for Valentine's Day? Thanks for your help.

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 13, 2011

First, I am sorry for your loss. Holidays following trauma like that is never easy.

The children will probably be happy just to see you after an absence like that.

Reading the valentines and dropping them off in the matching bag at Pre K and Kinder is most of the party. Then the cookie eating station (if you were going to go there). They could have their names' letters on hearts in a baggie and have to sort them out so that the letters spell their name. Of course you would need some way to get each child the correct bag before it began.

I like the musical chair idea.

Perhaps a craft? Even just stamping or painting?

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 13, 2011

WaProvider- Thank you. I just can't get motivated. My father passed away Jan. 22nd and my Father-in-law passed away February 7th. I have been out of school quite a bit lately, so I am sure they will be glad to see me again.
    I like the idea with hearts and their names. I also made heart cookies tonight. I do have heart stamps, I could make a stamping center.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 13, 2011

See, regular stuff, theme-ish planning......happy to see you....it will all glue together and they will be so happy to see you!

I have had similar experiences before holidays, I had a full term still birth infant who arrived on Mother's Day. Very bittersweet holiday for many, many years. Making all those projects we are expected to make year after year for Mothers' Day was just not fun for me AT ALL! Just roll with it. They will be happy, and if they know why you were absent they will know why things may seem more sedate.:hugs:

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 13, 2011

I am so sorry, Mother's Day has to be rough for you. I know a little bit what you are going through with the loss of a baby. The only difference is I had 4 1/2 months with my baby. It was the first day of school when I lost my daughter to SIDS. It will be 6 years this August. I HATE the first day of school, but now she has both of her Grandpa's with her. It is still hard though.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 13, 2011

Angel left us for heaven 12 years ago this May. I can only say that it will be getting to a point where you don't miss them every second of every day. It isn't ever really easy. Just take the party slow and let the day happen. Over planned parties are stressful even in the best of times. Just take it slow.....and you will make it.