Valentine's Day Activities

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by savestheday1121, Feb 7, 2009.

1. savestheday1121

savestheday1121 Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

Does anyone have any ideas for Valentine's Day activities? I was thinking about having the kids write a valentine's card to a family member, but I wanted to see if anyone has any other interesting ideas.

3. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

My kids last year really liked the candy heart sort. I get a bunch of those candy hearts and we sort them by color and each student colors in their own graph. Then we enjoy an afternoon snack!

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 10, 2009

I play LRC with my 5th graders. We use hershey's kisses, and whoever has the last kiss takes home all the kisses in the center. They love it. It is a fast paced game too, so they are completely occupied. If you want a writing activity, I saw another post that the teacher hands out the conversation hearts, and the students must use the saying on the heart in a story.

5. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

I do a writing activity with my students. I have them write a positive descriptive sentence using adjectives that aren't in 'word jail.' e.g. Sarah has a sparkling grin; Sam is enchantingly entertaining, etc.
    Then, I ask for a few helpers to cut out all the sentences and put them into envelopes for each student: so that each student gets 20+ sentences about him/herself. (This will also help you look at the sentences to make sure they're positive and use good adjectives.
    The student then gets to open his/her envelope and glue all the sentence strips onto a big heart that they've cut out. This makes a very cute (and academic) bulletin board. I just hung all the hearts from my ceiling clips this year.