Valentine Winter Storm

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by GlendaLL, Feb 12, 2007.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Well the storm has hit here. But we only have 2inches so far. I talked to my mom and she has 8 inches down there. School was canceled. Not sure why we could have been home by now and not had to make the day up. Oh well.

2. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

We got about 4-5 inches I think, but alot of blowing & drifting. We are now under the lake effect snow warning from tonite until tomorrow nite!! We'll see how much we get. It was actually funny yesterday I noticed an icicle fell straight down from the roof on to our deck (covered in snow and the icicle about 6-8 inches I think...well part of it was sticking up so I just watched it disappear slowly yesterday and now it's covered up!!!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

We had a snow day today too...and I'm super happy because my grad class was canceled last night and the whole college is closed today!

If we don't use all 3 snow days in our calendar, we'll probably get a 4 day Memorial Day weekend and maybe get out one day earlier this year. But another snow day wouldn't be too bad either! :)

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

This stupid storm is suppose to go right into tomorrow morning. So that means we will probably have a late start or another snow day. I am not happy about that!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2007

Ice storm here today, yet school was open, and we had our faculty meeting. The roads were slick going home, and will probably not improve with below zero wind chills tonight.

I did cancel my Precalc test. We had shortened periods to allow the kids to get into school and high absenteeism. With one thing and another, the test will be after next week's break-- on 2/27. So I made 160 quick best friends!

I'm hoping for an "ice day" tomorrow. With or without parent conferences tomorrow night.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Jaime - every snow day keeps you one more day from going home, right?

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

90 minute delay tomorrow for me! :) yippee!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 15, 2007

This is our third day off this week. With the three days we were out last week, we are now over our snow day limit and will have to go longer in June.

We have tomorrow and Monday off for a long week-end, so when we go back next Tuesday we will have been off a week. With the group I have this year I'm afraid it will feel like starting all over!

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 15, 2007

2 hr delay for me today!

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

Yes it does Daisy. We had a two hour delay to start with this morning and they changed it at 8am to no school. The wind is blowing the snow so much the roads are impassable.
    We have had so far this year a no power day, a rain day, a snow day and now a wind day. That brings the last day of school for me to Thursday June 14th. Before all those days off it was June 7th. Guess I'll be here at this rate until July!

11. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

Yikes! Lots of bad weather everyone is having. I worked from home yesterday because I leave for work at 5:00 to open the child care center I direct, and at that time, the roads were TERRIBLE out by me. They were fine later in the day. Good thing I have another couple of ladies who can open and live right in town (I am 45 minutes from my work). Hope everyone stays warm.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

Warm hugs and wishes to all of you. Stay safe.

13. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 15, 2007

Temperatures are very cold around here, just below zero with lower temps due to windchill. Some schools are still closed because they got more snow that is drifting onto the roads. Many were delayed. And, a few went back to their regular schedule.

This morning on my drive to work, I saw two people trying to get into a car that had set out during the ice storm. One had a pitcher of warm water and was pouring it onto the car. The other person was trying to chip away at the thick layer of ice. Aaaah!

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

Oh man I remember that when we had the ice storm of 98'. I was in college and didn't go back because we had no power for 16 days.
    Get some pictures. I bet it is beautiful.

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 15, 2007

It was a very pretty drive in today - with the trees covered in ice and snow on the ground.

People to the southeast of me are still out of power since Wednesday - 6000 homes (down from 8000). Hopefully, they will get their power back today!

16. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 15, 2007

I am so sore from shoveling the combination of 6 or 7 inches of snow mixed with 3 inches of sleet. It was so heavy! And I had to chop down with the shovel each time to loosen it before I could even pick it up! It was one of the worst for shoveling we have ever had! Even my wrists hurt! Okay, so I am now tired of snow, and as far as I am concerned it can be 50 degrees until April.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2007

We had a ICE storm, but still no appreciable snow!!!

We haven't used the shovel (or snow pants or boots or snowblower) or had a snow day yet this season !!!!!

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

I went out to finish shoveling today. I coulnd't it was solid ice. I could not even get the deck cleaned off. I gave up and came back inside. OH well I'm going home tomorrow.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

My sister sent me the most beautiful pictures of upstate New York. But, seriously, now, me shovel snow???? I think not.....

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2007

I love shoveling snow!! And I'm SO NOT the type to go to a gym or anything. But there's something invigorating about the job.

Then again, I'm NOT in Oswego NY, buried under 9 FEET of snow!!!

21. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2007

Alice : you can come to erie and shovel out my car ! The snow is up to the door handle! You'll have a blast! :D

22. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 16, 2007

Delays around here today. With windchill, the temperature is -12 degrees. A few schools have been closed all week, mostly due to ice and now the cold temperatures.
    I saw on the weather that we are supposed to get above freezing next Wednesday!

23. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2007

Off early on Tuesday but the ice and snow have kept us closed ever since! Today, we were having a 2 hour delay but when I came back in the house after starting the car, I found out school was closed again! I really wanted to get there today.

24. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 16, 2007

I could hardly drive to school today. The view was absolutely spectacular!!! Every tree branch, bush, and blade of tall grass is coated in ice. The sun was shining brightly this morning. It made everything look like crystal. Crystal trees - crystal bushes - crystal grass - crystal cattails. It was breathtakingly beautiful!

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

Just wondering, how much do you all spend on heating bills in the winter?

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 17, 2007

My heating bill was about 200 dollars this month. My aunt and uncle who live near me and have a very large house was b/w 700-800 dollars!

27. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 17, 2007

I am on the gas company budget. I pay $110 a month for gas starting in Sept. I usually have a surplus and get paid ahead before the weather gets cold. Most years, I am "caught up" by May, and for the summer only pay for what I use for hot water (about $30 a month). I have a pretty large, 100 year old house with 8+ rooms. However, I do not keep the house very warm- usually the thermostat is set at 68 degrees.