Valentine Winter Storm

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by GlendaLL, Feb 12, 2007.

1. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 12, 2007

The weather man is predicting a bad storm for our area. Tonight -continuing through tomorrow - we are supposed to start getting several inches of snow. We might get four to eight inches of the white stuff. Then it is supposed to warm up a little and we will get freezing rain/sleet on top of that. :eek:

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2007

Glenda...we are under a winter storm watch...what are you under a ws warning????

I guess it's depending on how it tracks how much we will get...should be interesting the next couple of days!!!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 12, 2007

We're supposed to get a winter storm for the next 2 days as well. Personally, I wouldn't mind. Now that we're going into June it really doesn't matter to me. It would get me out of our party on Wednesday. I do hate class parties. It's too much chaos.
    Anyway....

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 12, 2007

We are getting the storm tomorrow night and not stopping until Thursday morning. Hmmmmm wonder if that will really happen. Suppose to be 18 inches when it's all over.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 12, 2007

We have a "Heavy Snow Warning" here.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 12, 2007

They are predicting bad weather here too! We haven't had a snow day yet. Even if we dont use our 3 snow days they don't let us out early so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 12, 2007

Snow is OK - but I hope that we don't get that awful ICE!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

Every kid I know is planning to wear his PJs inside out tomorrow night. Me too!

10. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 12, 2007

Okay, maybe I am missing something here. Why do they wear their pajamas inside out?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

I have no idea. But it's the equivalent of praying to the powers that be for a snow day.

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2007

The entire faculty at my school would be wearing pj's then! We were supposed to have off on Friday and Monday but Friday is a snow make up day. Here in PA, we haven't had any snow to speak of this year so we all thought we'd have off, but now a storm is predicted. The supt. sent an e-mail today that we will have school on Friday if school closes anytime this week. I know of 10 teachers with plans to be sick, and 5 kids in my homeroom won't be there. Seems pointless...

13. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 12, 2007

I think the storm is going to "miss" my area! ughh. We havn't had a snow day yet!!!!

14. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 12, 2007

We had a bus day right after super bowl (Indianapolis)-too many drivers called in and we did not have school, BUT we have to make up the day that the drivers would not run-which stinks.

We are also expecting 8 inches of snow and some ice. within the next 24 hours.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 12, 2007

Stay safe, all of you. Don't go out on the roads any more than you have to.

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2007

Snow/ice expected in MD too.

And yes, I was strongly encouraging the children to wear their pajamas inside out AND backwards, AND to sleep with a spoon under their pillows....where do those things start, anyway?
    Kim

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2007

Glenda...snow is staying off to the south for now...we are now not listed in any watches or warnings...sounds like Ohio is gonna get hit!!! Stay Safe!!!

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 12, 2007

Thanks! I'm just planning on "hunkerin' down"! I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work and got milk, bread, etc. (Hubby says that he is going in to work anyway!)

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 13, 2007

Tons of rain last night. That wil affect any chances of snow sticking when it does come. It's supposed to rain all day today. If we do get anything it will probably turn into ice.

20. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Feb 13, 2007

woo hoo no school today, right now it's raining here, but on it's way to changing over!

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 13, 2007

All of the schools are closed in this area. The snow is continuing to fall.

I saw that the University of Cincinnati is closed today.

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 13, 2007

I ran outside to grab some new Valentine's books (my kids were complaining I didn't have enough) and saw some snow flurries. Haven't told the kids. They're already wired enough about tomorrow's party.

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 13, 2007

Everything is closed around here today, including all of the universities and the Air Force Base, so even my husband has the day off.

I think most of Ohio is virtually shut down.

24. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 13, 2007

About 11:00 am, I started to hear the pitter-pat/clickety/click of the freezing rain hitting my windows. YUCK!

My hubby went in to work this morning - taking the city streets, rather than the interstate. It took him about an hour to get there. That's almost three times his usual drive time. But, he was back home by 10:00 am.

The "Street Warriors" (city road crew) are out on the main roads of Columbus, doing what they can. It will take them a long time to get to the smaller side streets. It just keeps coming down!

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

I hope you keep your elctricity..nothing wse than ice then sno & lots of wind ( I heard)!!!

26. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Feb 13, 2007

I am in SE Michigan, and the last report I heard was a winter storm warning for tonight at 10:00 until tomorrow morning at 10:00. They were saying on the news though that the worst of it will be between 3:00-9:00 tonight...then why is the warning from 10:00-10:00?? ;)

27. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 13, 2007

We went to school today but students were dismissed at 10:30. Yeah!

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

The Mich teachers in the SE side are probably not complaining...It's rare that side is gonna get it & not the Lake effect side!!!

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

I had to share thhis with you..on our local news weatherman's blog they were asking for names of this storm...one of the bloggers came up with "HOOSIER DADDY!!!" Pretty cute, huh???

30. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Feb 13, 2007

I swear, I have never heard of wearing pajamas inside out for snow, or putting a spoon under the pillow. Come to think of it, I cannot think of ANY superstitions to make it snow that are common to this area. I guess that most years we get so much that we don't need to wish for it. Except for this year! What is really sad, is after a snow when I ask who played outside in the snow, very few kids raise their hands. They are 4 and 5 years old, for goodness sake! Why won't their parents take them outside to play in the snow!!!!!

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2007

Mine haven't been out in the snow because it's been very cold & windchills are so low!!! I'm hoping next weekend it's suppose to get warmer!!! Even if it's low temp is low will go out, but with the windchill so low no way!!! I know I sound like an old prude!!! We did go out for a few mins to grab the mail and garbage can!!! Just enough to run in the snow and get chilly!!!

32. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 13, 2007

This afternoon we started to have the electricity go on/off, on/off. Finally, it completely gave out on us at about 3:30 pm. We can't see through the windows at all anymore. They're coated with a layer of ice. But, there was enough light coming through that I could go around the house and collect candles and matches. Hubby got the fireplace going, because the furnace blower won't work without electricity. Also, he got batteries for a radio. Fortunately, the electricity came back on later.

Hubby just went out to get the mail. We continue to have freezing rain/sleet. What a MESS!!!

Our governor has told everyone in the state to stay at home if at all possible.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 13, 2007

Yet your computer is working!! "Ain't life grand???"

Stay warm-- and be careful with those candles!!

We may get a rainout or a slushy mess-- or 6 inches of snow. No two forecasters seem to agree. My Precalculus kids are pretty much assuming that tomorrow's test is cancelled, although we haven't seen so much as a snowflake yet.

I'm praying to the snow gods!

34. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 13, 2007

I was without internet mostly for most of last week, because ap ower outage knocked out our router. Dad finally fixed it yesterday. I was going crazy missing my AtoZ fix. ;)

Most of the schools in the area today were closed. Except the ones my mom works in and the ones the kids from this neighborhood attend (grade school and high school districts). My mom wanted to know which school the Superintendent who made the decision to open today was playing crossing guard at as the snow was STINGING her face as she got kids off busses.

I got a call about 6 AM that we were going to delay opening from 6:30 to 8:30... we were having a skeleton crew come in at 8:30, and I'd get a call from our Principal between 9-10 letting me know if they needed me at all, and what time this afternoon to come in. At 9:07, I got a call that said simply, "Emily, I need you. We have a TON of kids." When I got in at 10 (drive wasn't too much longer than usual), she said "we're closing at 4. Can you call the parents of all your kids who are here and tell them?" Roads were TERRIBLE by 4 when I headed home... took me almost an hour to go 14 miles. They're usually really good at keeping up with the snow around here, but not today. It's hard to tell what part of the snow is actually falling and what part is just blowing around.

One of my parents (the same one who complains that our afternoon snacks aren't healthy... heaven forbid we give them 3 DONUT HOLES) complained that we opened late today (you people don't have any idea how to handle snow. I can't believe you're not open your regular hours). THEN when I called, she said, "Why? Because of the weather? it's hardly even snowing" (you're right, it's just blowing everywhere. have you BEEN OUTSIDE???? the roads are horrible!).

She appologized "if I sounded mean on the phone, I just don't understand." She WORKS AT HOME 1/2 mile away. Get OVER yourself! Stick the kids in front of a movie and finish your work if you need to!!!!!

Took me over an hour to get 14 miles home.

35. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 13, 2007

The only way I complain about getting snow is if we get enough to be a nuisance but not enough to close school.

36. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

Freezing rain/sleet is still coming down. Schools are all closed for Wednesday.

37. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Feb 14, 2007

Another snow day tomorrow, well today now actually here

38. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Feb 14, 2007

SNOW DAY! About time, we all needed this day off!

39. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

Around 5am this morning I got the phone call saying school was closed! I am so happy to have the day off. We have Friday and next Monday off so tomorrow should be pretty easy.

40. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 14, 2007

I feal cheated. It's snowing (very large flakes), but not accumulating enough to be worth anything. :(

41. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Feb 14, 2007

DizneeTeachR, we certainly aren't complaining too much on this side of the state! While we don't get the lake effect like you guys on the Western side of the state, we haven't gotten a lot of snow over her like we used to many years ago. I remember growing up and getting tons of snow all winter, now it seems that there is only a few bigger snowfalls, and just flurries. I won't complain about that either!! We got about 5.2 inches last night, which makes for a messy morning commute. I'd rather have that than the lake effect, or being in NY right now....Everyone STAY SAFE!! :D