Vacuums!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by amakaye, Jan 23, 2014.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2014

I know we've had threads like this before, but I figure people may have new advice or different advice since it has been a while. We are going to need a new vacuum when we get married (my cheap one is on its last legs) and I'm looking for advice, suggestions, comments, etc. Things to stay away from? Brands to look into more?

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2014

My wife is the expert. I will ask her when I see her at lunch. She vacuums once and sometimes twice a day. She has worn out probably 5 in the 10 years we have been married.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2014

Get a Dyson. They typically go deeply on sale (and usually through the major retailers, such as Target) about twice a year - grab one then. They are wonderful - they pick up more than you ever thought you had, and are pretty versatile and come with a hefty manufacturer warranty (5 years, I think?)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 23, 2014

I didn't want to pay that much so I got a Shark Navigator. It picks up really well and I like that I can detach the motor part and wand to use as a hand-held unit on the stairs.

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2014

I have a Bissel. I have had two in the last 14 years. The first one didn't break I sucked up something and we could never get it out. It would still work just not that great. When we moved into this house I just bought a new one. It works great never have any issues with it. It was like $50.00 or something like that. It's not fancy like a Dyson brand but it works! The best one I ever used was my Grandmothers Orek. I loved that thing. I borrowed it all the time when we lived next door to her. Not sure what happened to it when she died. Hmmmm why didn't I get that thing!!!!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2014

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 23, 2014

I really love my mom's Rainbow. It was too expensive for me, though. I only have one room with carpet, so I couldn't justify the expense. Mom had a whole house of carpet when she bought hers. Now she doesn't have ANY rooms with carpet. I keep hoping she will give me her vacuum.

I have a Dirt Devil. It's sufficient for my one room. I wouldn't want to have to use it for a whole house, especially if I had kids or pets in the house. With just me here, it's not that dirty.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jan 23, 2014

Another Shark vote

We gave our daughter a Shark navigator and they love it! I have a Dyson and am not crazy about it. (Other daughter also has a Dyson and likes it.) I think the Dyson is overpriced and sometimes hard to use....wand, etc.