vacation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, May 29, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 29, 2006

What are you all doing this summer? Vacations? We don't have any specific plans.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 29, 2006

Hoping for an interview... no big plans.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 29, 2006

I wish we could afford to take our family(boys and grandson) on a special vacation...like fly away somewhere! We have never had a honeymoon either. EVerything we do is close to home. I guess the main thing is being together. We all love that so much. That's all we did this weekend...had our little grandson from Friday to tonight and we already miss him!

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 29, 2006

bf and I are going to the WI Dells for a couple days...easy drive. :) We meant to go last year, but it didn't work out... so we're hoping for his year. Taking a couple days to hit a few of their coaster/amusement parks (Timber Falls and Mt. Olympus) and a water park (Noah's Ark)... and hoping to catch a ride on the Ducks beore we head back.

But not until August, I'm teaching summer school. ;)

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 29, 2006

Sounds like fun, Clarnet. I grew up in a town 30 miles from The Dells so did go , but mostly when I was teenager , we went to dances there! There is just something about The Dells!
    Has anyone ever gone to a Jellystone Campground? They are very crowded, but you just HAVE to experience it! The one thing I really don't like though is how close the cabins are and when everyone has a campfire going, it is soooo smokey.

7. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 29, 2006

So far a few professional development classes, some camping, a big birthday for a friend of ours, a mini trip for our two year anniversary (don't know where yet), and a visit from my mother in law. And hopefully we will be getting a puppy soon! Other than that, some sorting, purging, and cleaning out of my school stuff and planning for next year.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 29, 2006

My parents both grew up right in the dells. I use to travel there almost every weekend to visit my grandpa/grandma when I was a little girl. Grammy, what was the name of Wisconsin Dells before it was called WIsconsin Dells? I can't remember.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 29, 2006

Oh, I remember...........it use to be called Kilbourn........until the 1930's or so, then it changed to Wisconsin Dells.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2006

We're going to upstate NY-- Lake George-- for a week. Both Peter and I went most summers as kids with our own families; it's nice to be able to bring our kids there too. It's totally family oriented-- a mini golf on every corner, Forts William Henry & Ticonderoga (From "The Last of the Mohicans" fame), museums, fireworks every Thursday, and so on. Julia (age 6) is especially thrilled: it seems that one of her best friends will be coming up to the same hotel for part of the same week.

Beyond that, both Peter and I are teaching an SAT prep (ug!) one day a week. And we're getting a new 4x15' pool installed on June 6th (assuming that another monsoon doesn't postpone this installation date.) So we'll be doing lots of hanging out in the yard during the day, and hitting the boardwalk at Jones Beach at night.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

Alice this will be our first year NOT going to Lake George. We always go with our best friends and their son. I like it, but I soon got very tired of spending all my time walking up and down the strip only to end up in the arcade...LOL... We usually stay at the hotel right on the strip, Canada Street.
    I loved the Minnie Ha ha:)
    We will also be frequenting the Jones Beach Boardwalk alot and doing movies under the moonlight at the various parks, and local schools.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

I really want to go to N.Y. just to SEE it......and I want to see David Letterman's show!!!!!!! hahaha!!!!!!!! Weird, huh?

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

You'd love it! We could do an exchange- cause I would love to check out Wisconsin:)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2006

My dad always wanted to see the Wisconsin Dells, but somehow never got there.

You should get to NY some time in your life. The Thanksgiving Day parade is an event not to be missed--TV just doesn't do it justice. And Long Island's South Shore beaches are simply incredible!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2006

How funny-- we're staying at the Surfside on Canada St. Last year we stayed at O'sullivans next door, but I read that they've been sold (and confirmed it w/ the Chamber of Commerce.) I didn't want problems with new owners not honoring the old prices, so we upgraded a bit.

Brian can sit in our hotel room and tell the Mini Ha Ha's horn from that of the Mohican or the Sacrement. He's already asking which we'll do this year-- we've already done the first 2, but I'm not sure that 3 year old Kira is up for the longer Sacrement tour.

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 30, 2006

No big plans for me. I'm not sure if I'll be working or not, but I plan to spend most of my time applying for jobs and trying to set up interviews. My boyfriend and I are planning a camping trip for August, though. We've been saying that we're going to go for the past 3 summers and I think we're finally going to do it this year.

17. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 30, 2006

We are going to san fran and then we always get a free trip with my husbands job-somewhere local. It will be in galveston (YUCK!) I hate galveston but the hotels are always nice :)

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 30, 2006

In August I will be taking a vacation to Aruba. I go away every year with my mom - just the two of us and I am looking forward to it.
    Other than that I am going to the beach a lot and hopefully take some day/weekend trips.

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 30, 2006

I also plan to spend a ton of time at the beach. For the past 7 summers I've worked at an afterschool/summer program where we went to the beach three or four days a week with the kids. I haven't been to the beach for fun on my own time in about 5 years!

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 30, 2006

No plans to go anywhere...just work and try to save money.

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

I was talking to my brother and we want to take a family trip up to Canada again, but it wont be this year (we're broke:().

I'll probably go up to the Dell's again. I'd like to stay at one of those water park resorts again. When we went to the Wilderness (totally recommend it by the way) in March our son had such a blast!!!

Grammy, we didn't get a honeymoon either:(. I'm waiting to win the lottery and go to one of those Sandals resort's in the Bahama's or something! One where it is all inclusive and NO KIDS ALLOWED!!!

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

We went in the spring before the attack...Grammy went to David Letterman....Hubby got a call from someone at the show and had to answer question..he was suppose to take his boss & asked if he could have tickets & they said no, so he said since I live w/ her better take the wife!!! Matthew Broderick & Brandi Chastain were on. Brandi is the soccer player that took off her shirt after scoring the goal...that's the only way I could get my hubby to know who she was.

We saw Lion King & (Oh I can't remember the name) It is a band the title is one word!!!

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 30, 2006

I was planning on going to Paris but it is too expensive this time of the year, so I went and got a spa pedicure and manicure today instead:D . I will be going back to Canada for a week or two to visit with family and friends, so I am not too upset.

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

Oh, that reminds me...I do have a gift certificate to a spa. I guess I should use it for a massage and take the stress away!

25. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

May 30, 2006

We aren't going on a big vacation but I would like to do a few day trips. I am going to be doing some home improvements (painting mainly). I am taking a summer prof. dev. class that will last one week. I might be teaching summer school if our enrollment goes up.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2006

No vacation here. Both of my kids are very involved in sports (soccer and baseball) and that keeps me busy driving almost every night and most weekends. Both are playing in out-of-town tournaments that we will try to extend for a few days. I'm working on a university course and have signed up to attend a 4-day training session offered by my school board for teachers who are moving to a new grade/position for next year. I also have a stack of books (professional and "trash") that are calling my name...only 4 1/2 more weeks!

I remember going to Wisconsin Dells when I was a kid...we used to drive from Ontario to Saskatchewan to visit relatives every couple of years and would often drive back through the States.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 30, 2006

I am going to live at my mom's house Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. I will be waitress those days. So in the afternoons I'll hang out at the lake. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday be here at Bf's parents house. I am working summer school. Than hang out in the afternoons at the ocean.
    If I do get a couple days off in a row we will probably go up north to Steve's family camp (which means sleeping in a tent).
    I'm also going to see the musical Annie in Boston on June 17th!
    Oh and my brother is flying up on June 9th and will be staying until the 19th. I can't wait to see him. I haven't seen him since Dec 2004.
    Stinks that I will still be at work until the 15th.

28. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

Oh, that reminds me. I enrolled the boy in a T-ball league he wanted to join. That starts in a couple weeks so he is very excited. So are we...his first sports team!!!:D

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 30, 2006

Someone mentioned home improvements.... yes, that will be me also... we are building a deck and putting in a sliding glass door.. that should be enough work... of course, I won't actually be the one doing the work, I'll just be serving the beers...

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2006

I remember when Alex started T-ball...seems like so long ago (10years!) I love being a "baseball and soccer mom" and am so glad that, even at 15, he doesn't mind having me cheering him on from the stands! Enjoy every minute...they go so quickly!

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 31, 2006

Grammy, I remembered the name BLAST!!! Awesome show for those of you who like brass & drums!!!

32. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 31, 2006

I just put our san fran trip on hold until next year. The tickets are nonrefundable (of course) and I just don't feel like spending more money with a baby coming soon after...besides my feet already hurt all the time. We may go to san antonio instead.

33. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 31, 2006

Diznee, I LOVED Blast!!!!!! I'm a big fan of marching bands and drum corps... that's the other thing I like to do in the summer: check out drum corps competitions. ;) I'm planning on hitting at least 5 this summer, and if timing works out, I'm gonig to try to make it to Worlds in WIthis summer... but that will depend where I get a job!!!

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 31, 2006

Why are you going to San Antonio? I think it's kinda weird you mentioned the two cities because I have a sister in San Fransisco and a brother in San Antonio.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 31, 2006

We saw it down from Ed Sullivan theatre!!! They usually have a competition at a college near to us!!! one of the corps practiced at my old H.S.!!!

36. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 31, 2006

Well, I have never been to the west coast so I wanted to go. My husband used to live there many years ago so we were going to do the sight seeing bit. But since I am prego my feet hurt if I am on them too long and I want to spend the money on other things around the house.

San Antonio is only about 3 hours away from me. Its a fun city and has lots to do. I would also be cheaper since we can drive. We go to Austin and San Antonio all the time.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 31, 2006

Well, while I'm trying to get a teaching job, I'll be subbing & working my part-time job. I may go to Hawaii. If not, I'll go to Las Vegas for a few days & a few day trips to some fun places like Catalina, San Diego, Newport Beach.