Vacation time on AESOP?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ShoppingGuru, Nov 4, 2014.

1. ShoppingGuru

ShoppingGuru New Member

Nov 4, 2014

So I just started subbing at a high school, this is the school where I want to end up working after I finish my Masters, so I want to make a good impression.

So far I've been subbing almost every day, I've only rejected a job with AESOP a couple times, and always try to mark days as a "non-work day" in advance. But since this is my first "real job", I have some questions about etiquette.

In December, I plan to go out of town for about a month. Mind you, the school does have winter break, but they only have 2 weeks of it and I plan on leaving 4 or 5 weeks. So, is a substitute like a regular job where they give me certain vacation days? Would I lose the job if I go away for so long? Do I email someone about it, or just mark it as "non work days" on the AESOP calendar? Any advice I can get would be much appreciated. Thanks!

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2014

If they use AESOP, you're probably safe to just put it in as "non work days" and I think you can even mention the reason in there. Depending on the size of the district (i.e. smaller ones would notice one going away for a while, big ones wouldn't even notice you were gone!), you could get in touch with the coordinator and let them know, but it's probably unnecessary.

Again, unless it's a small district, you won't lose your job or probably even be considered in any different of a way for taking that time off, unless there are specific requirements in your district for the number of sub days worked or something like that.

4. ShoppingGuru

ShoppingGuru New Member

Nov 4, 2014

I forgot to add...I read somewhere a woman posted that she was one of the secretaries in charge of calling substitutes and she said that if substitutes reject the job too many times, they stopped calling them because they really want us to be completely available. I don't know if her school used the AESOP website or not. How does AESOP work when I reject a job? Does it automatically knock me down to the bottom of the list for a few days or is it completely random or what?

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2014

If you put yourself in for a non-work day, they won't call you. It shouldn't affect you at all.
    Around here the only time taking days off causes problems is if you don't put yourself in for a non-work day. They don't like wasting their time calling you.

6. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 4, 2014

We use subfinder, but I think this varies district to district. I've heard of districts like the one you're describing...they want your complete availability, and get upset when you can't give that to them (I have a friend in a district like that). Then there are other districts (I work in two of them, they are just a few miles from the previously described district) that literally told me in my orientations that they don't care if I work 1 day a school year or every single day. So...whatever you know or have heard about your district is probably correct. You could probably call the sub coordinator and find out.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2014

From my experience, you don't owe an explanation as long as you are clear that you simply won't be available on those dates. Even sub-callers understand that you could already be booked elsewhere for a longer assignment, so you would not be available to them, personally. The one advantage to subbing is making your own hours, so appreciate it. No, I wouldn't offer an explanation about the lack of availability, but I would offer the olive branch that if things change, you will be sure to adjust your availability on AESOP's website.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

All you have to do is put yourself on non-work day. Like others said, you don't owe anyone an explanation. The only additional thing I would do, if you have been at the same school for awhile, teachers know you and request you, let them know that you'll just be gone for a couple of weeks, but you'll be back.
    They won't know how long you put yourself on vacation, so they might think that you accepted a LTS somewhere else. You want your days filled up when you return.

9. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 5, 2014

I have never had calling turned on in Aesop. When I student taught, I just stopped accessing Aesop for 4 months. I started accepting jobs again the day ofter my student teaching ended. There were no issues.