Vacation spots

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by diggerdeb, May 31, 2005.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

May 31, 2005

I am starting to plan my summer vacation.
    Where is the best place you have ever gone (in the US)?
    Where is your favorite?
    Wher should I go?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 31, 2005

My own backyard. It's not where I go, but who I am with.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 31, 2005

Jackson Hole, Wyoming is awesome! It can be pricey so check around. A lot of the local motels are nice. It is just a beautiful place. I didn't get stay nearly long enough (plan for AT LEAST 3 days in Yellowstone to really do it justice!).
    Of course I have to give a plug in for Louisiana as well. You have New Orleans or Grand Isle and some great state parks (Lake Fausse Point or Caney Lake are my two faves).

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 31, 2005

What kind of vacation are you looking for?

My bf and I are taking a couple days up at Wisconsin Dells this summer, looking forward to that... we're doing coastering and water parks and thel ike, unless the weather's bad, in which case we've got several museums and such that look really cool. Last summer, we went with his family to Cedar Point, and we're hopefully doing Holiday World and King's Island this year... again, lots of coasters! My family also took a couple days last summer at Mall of America... something for everyone!!!

I really really like east TN, though... the mountains are pretty, and it's a nice place ot relax and get away. :)

6. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Jun 1, 2005

You can always try Redding CA, my home town. We have two lakes, Mt. Lassen, the first recorded eruption in the US. We also have Mt. Shasta, the Sacramento River, a world famous walking bridge designed by one of the top architects in the world. There is hiking, camping, boating, and lots of other outdoorsy stuff. Caverns galore. A really nice dinner train in the town of McCloud (sp?). And it's different from anywhere you may have been in CA. We are 2 hours South of Ashland, OR the home of the year round Oregon Shakespeare festival. (Really fun place to see a play and spend a couple of days) We are 3 hours north of San Francisco, (you can go there if you want, but I personally think it's overrated), 2 hours North of Sacramento. You can see the capitol and the Governor's mansion... Maybe you will run into Arnold (yippee) Sorry, sarcasm! Oh yeah we are 2-3 hours from Eureka and the coast (nice to camp at). And we are 3 and a half hours from Reno NV. Just in case you are compelled to gamble. Might I suggest the Peppermill Buffet for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. A little pricey for dinner, but very yummy.

We are going to LA to see the family for a couple of weeks. Grandma (my mom) is dying to take the kids on their first trip to Disneyland... So off we go!

Whatever you decide have a great summer, and may it be filled with adventure and happiness.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2005

We stayed in Pigeon Forge. They rent cabins up in the mtns and then about 5min away outlet malls, restruants, tourist stuff, go carts and of course Dollywood!!! We love going there!!!

Of course I could recommend Silver Lake Michigan with the sand dunes & Mackinac Island!!!! Be ready to bike the island!!!! And the FUDGE!!!! YUMMY!!!! :)

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2005

Do you know where you are going to stay in the dells? The Wilderness Resort is inexpensive and nice. I've always wanted to stay at the Great Wolf Lodge but from what I hear it's pretty pricey. We go past it on our way up north to see my husbands family every other month and I've always wanted to go inside to take a look around. The Kalahari is also nice:)

I, as well, have always liked Tennessee. I've been to Nashville and Gatlinburg (sp?) and loved both. The drive through the Smokey Mountains is beautiful:)

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 1, 2005

We'll have to look in to Wilderness Resort... we're trying to do this as low-budget as possible (he's still in college and I don't make a whole lot and am trying to save to move out!)... Great Wolf and Kalahari are pretty expensive, but probably pretty reasonable if you take a big group and all split the room cost.

I grew up in Nashville, but, surprisingly enough, have never been to Gatlinburg (at least not in my recollection) or to Dollywood or the like... but definately want to get there! :)

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2005

I grew up 30 miles from WI Dells...it is a fun place to go ... The Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge are expensive, but my son has stayed there and said it's worth it...there is so much to do(water fun) Go there and ride the ducks and walk the streets and eat the fudge ... lots of little shops and really cute moccasins...Yea, it is all pretty pricey, but what isn't? Just be prepared for lots of people. It's very popular.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2005

It IS very popular, especially in the summer. My husband and I went there during an off season and nothing was open and nobody was around. It was weird, like a ghost town. Even though it's really touristy, it's worth the trip and lots of fun, even when you're from Wisconsin or nearby. Go to Noah's Ark-it's loads of fun-remember to wear sunscreen. My husband thought he'd be macho and not wear it one year. Boy did he pay! You'll have fun. It can be pretty pricy, but like PA's post said, what isn't nowadays?

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 1, 2005

Yeah... our plan for the dells is, most likely and weather-dependent, of course... Mt. Olympus (we're coaster buffs!), Noah's Ark, another coaster park (the one with Avalanche, can't remember what it's called...), and hopefully the ducks... they look really cool. :) We're looking in to hotels and booking this week hopefully before prices raise as they fill up.

/end thread hijak. ;)

13. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2005

A couple of summers ago, we went to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole - It was great! Kids would enjoy it. We stayed in Jackson Hole the first night - the hotels are a bit pricey. We got the cheapest one we could find, and it was still over $100 and not very nice. We did white water rafting while we were in Jackson Hole. We took a trip that had breakfast included - we did a slow, relaxing raft and stopped for a breakfast cookout, then continued on to the white water rafting for the second half of the trip. We drove through Grand Teton Park and saw a few moose.

Then we drove up to Yellowstone. It is an awesome place. We saved money by alternating camping with hotels - We stayed in a Yellowstone campground for 2 nights on the east side, then drove up to the north entrance and stayed in a hotel, continued back south through Yellowstone and camped another night on the west side, drove out the west entrance and stayed in a hotel the last night, then drove back down to Jackson Hole to go back home. The amount of time we had in Yellowstone was about right to see the main things. When I was a kid, I had driven through with my parents, and you definitely will NOT see it all by just driving through!

Yellowstone has reservations for their campgrounds online - It makes it really convenient for planning a trip! We were lucky - we planned our trip about 2 weeks in advance and still managed to find some vacancies in the campgrounds.

-----------------------
    A lot of people like to come to Branson, Missouri (just south of me) - They have some fun theme parks, tons of shows, and lots of all-around family fun! We're centrally located, so the drive isn't too bad for most people. More info:
    http://www.bransonchamber.com/
    http://www.silverdollarcity.com/
    http://www.ripleysbranson.com/
    http://www.bransonducks.com/
    http://www.bransontracks.com/
    http://www.bransonimax.com/

Locals enjoy the theme parks more than anything else. (All owned by Silver Dollar City.) I linked to some other popular attractions.

They have tons and tons of shows - I taught in Branson a few years back and I had NEVER gone to any shows until then. I had a couple of kids who were in shows. If you do go, you have to see Tony Melendez. His daughter was in my class. He plays the guitar with his feet because he was born without arms:
    http://www.tonymelendez.com/
    I just checked, though, and it looks like he is touring now so you don't have to come to Branson - Maybe he will come to you!

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 2, 2005

Branson has sure changed, though! When I was a kid we would go with my aunt all the time. My sister and I LOVED Mutton Hollow. We would go and ride horses, watch them make taffy, etc. In fact, Aunt Doris would drop us off in the morning and pick us up in the afternoon. It was tiny and about 5 miles out of town. For about 10 years I never got the chance to go back. On my next trip I thought my jaw would fall off when we pulled into town. It was HUGE. Mutton Hollow was no longer the tiny country park, it was in the middle of town. My parents go several times a year if they can. We went up a few years ago at Christmas time and went to Silver Dollar City. It was gorgeous. We kept hoping for snow, but no luck. I make it up there every couple of years or so now. Lots and lots of memories in that "town". (Probably the friendliest people ever!)

15. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Jun 2, 2005

When visiting WI Dells-be sure to eat at Paul Bunyans!!

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2005

That's funny that you've been to Branson - I guess I'm not surprised though because it is a popular tourist attraction. It has grown a lot since 1990. I grew up going to Silver Dollar City and White Water. I've never been to Mutton Hollow. Next time you come, you'll have to let me know. :) People are very friendly here in Missouri, especially in the small towns. (People that don't know you will actually smile and wave!)

17. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 3, 2005

Green Tortoise Tours (out of San Fransisco) Check them out on the Internet!
    I was able to go from boston to California via sleeper bus for 200 either one way or round trip, cant remember now. They do have a national parks loop they offer. The bus stops and you cook and play in the day and are driven in the nights. It is not for the modest, or for those needing Air conditioning.

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2005

Oh yes! Those pancakes-yum!

19. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 3, 2005

Ocracoke Island, North Carolina. It's wayyy inexpensive, very UNcrowded, best beach in the universe, lots of lighthouses, great local restaurants (no chains at ALL) fishing, boating, swimming, beachmongering, shells, pirate museums, etc. My family adores it.

20. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Jun 3, 2005

I want to go there...

Unfortunately, we are doing the big D this summer with my parents, and my brother's family... Nothing like LA in the summer!! It will be fun, if my husband can keep from complaining the entire trip!

21. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 3, 2005

We used to go to the Outer Banks all the time when I was a little girl. I just loved it there. We always enjoyed taking the ferry to Ocracoke. I have several books about the ghost stories from all the shipwrecks there. What a great place to go. :)

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 6, 2005

I applied to the Ocracoke School when I graduated from college years ago, but they seldom have any openings because nobody ever wants to leave the island. Their PE curriculum includes SURFING! I visited the school and it is wonderful. I think most of their teachers only leave when it's feet first.

But that beach. . . . well, you'll never go to Florida or any other touristy crowded beach again.

The only problem I can even think of, is if your kids are addicted to fast food and refuse to try new things. And if that's the case, you all probably know what I say about that. Tee hee.

Let them get hungry enough to try.

(No McDonald's or any other such place on Ocracoke. It's part of the coolness of it.)

23. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Jun 10, 2005

We have made our vacation plans.
    We will drivefromNY to seattle Washington then take a cruise to Alaska.
    I'm so excited.
    Thank you for all your ideas.
    If any one wants to add more go right ahead.

24. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jun 15, 2005

Eureka Springs, AR is nice if you like arts and crafts type of things. Also has the Great Passion Play. Several family shows. Usually not overly expensive. Wagner Inn is locally owned and my parents were quite impressed. Dogwood Cabins are owned by the special ed teacher at the hs.... and are really nice (the school put me up there when I started teaching and didn't have time to get moved... so I have no idea about cost)

Hot Springs, AR is nice too, more to do same things can pretty much be said as were about Eureka. It has more to do. Skip the Arlington or Majestic and opt to stay in Glenwood for cheaper rates and nicer hotel if you don't mind the 26 mile drive! If you opt for the Arlington or Majestic.. go the Arlington, it's a little nicer. (Though I've stayed at the Majestic twice)

I've always loved St. Louis. I've been twice and can't wait to go back (and no it's not because I'm a Rams fan, that's just luck on my part!!)

Memphis TN can be loads of fun if you're into blues/ jazz and Beale Street. Eat at Alfred's on Beale! (I loved it!!!) Go visit the Comedy Zone in Overton Square.

hmmm guess thats about it that I know anything about :D

25. ~Darlene~

~Darlene~ Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

We usually go to Myrtle Beach, SC but this summer have planned a trip to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands in VA. On the way home, we're planning on visiting Williamsburg. I called a teachers/guests get a 50% discount to sites within the city. I can't wait and my kids are thrilled to see the ponies because they LOVE horses.

26. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jun 18, 2005

I live close to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Those are both great family vacation spots, plus we are usually cooler since we are in the mountains.

This summer I am going to Myrtle beach. I much prefer the outer banks but with a 3 1/2 year old and a 2 year old in the car, I took the shorter drive, lol.

27. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 21, 2005

We're heading to Daytona Beach next month. Our first real vacation in almost six years!
    My dream vacation is Italy, but I'll have to get some strong drugs for a hubby who won't fly!

28. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2005

I love Destin Fl. So pretty. I am actually getting married there on the beach. We have about 40 people coming with us

29. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2005

The Outer Banks in NC is my favorite place. That was the best vacation ever...and just looking at some of the houses. Its nuts! Some have elevators and game rooms:) We are going back down next summer with a group of couples so we can afford one of those houses (or somethng comparable...lol). And visiting all of the lighthouses is a spectacular thing. We climbed up the Cape Hatteras one...the most breathtaking view I've ever seen. The water is amazing...I can'twait to go back...sigh.

I, too, went on the ferry to Ocracoke Island. I had a dream of driving onto the ferry later that night, and I acually sat up in bed and acted as if I was driving a car onto it. Luckily, my boyfriend loves me enough that he has stayed with me since that incident, although he said he was nervous! He woke up and said he had to go to the bathroom, and supposedly I told him to be right back so he wouldn't miss the ferry! lol

30. Jan P.

Jan P. Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

I love Charleston, SC. You can ride in horse carriages which are driven by college age students giving historical tours of the area. Many plantations abound outside of Charleston such as Middleton Place, Boone Hall Plantation, Dreyton Hall, and Magnolia Plantation. The Marketplace is fun to go in and see all the cheap jewelry, t-shirts, antiques(not so cheap), and food. I love to stroll through the historic section and to walk along the Boardwalk near the Battery. Taking a ferry across to Fort Sumter is also thrilling. There is a fairly new Aquarium which I haven't visited yet. If you are into military stuff, then a quick ride across the Cooper River Bridge (they have a new one now) will take you to Patriots Landing. Here there is an old WW2 aircraft carrier. There are plenty of restaurants with delicious food such as Shem Creek (seafood) over at Mount Pleasant. I can't say enough about Charleston!

Jan P.

31. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 18, 2005

My mom and I went to Charleston last year for my Spring Break. It was the first time I had ever been and loved it. I was still a little cold but wonderful. I would love to go back again. Seeing Dreyton Hall in the cold was not a fun experience - the wind whistling through that old plantation. BBrrrr.

32. Jan P.

Jan P. Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

Margo,

I'm sorry that your trip was so cold. Usually spring is a great time to go because the flowers are in bloom and the plantations such as Magnolia Plantation are gorgeous! Right now it is hot as blazes. I was in Charleston about two weeks ago. I went to the Market, but had to go get an ice cream so I wouldn't melt. LOL!

Jan P.

33. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 21, 2005

I think it was the week we went. Supposedly, right before then, it was beautiful and I guess after we left it was beautiful. It figures, doesn't it?

34. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2005

I especially have enjoyed visiting New York City, Virginia, and St. Louis, Missouri, yet I do not know what to recommend because everyone is very different.

35. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Aug 7, 2005

wwwe back!!
    We had a wonderful time driving across the country
    we saw Butte Montana (a wonderful place)
    we enjoyed Seattle
    we loved Alaska
    wwwwwe were amazed by the redwoods
    wwe ate well all across the country
    We took over 1000 pictures, now I neeeed to scrapbook1
    (SPRRY ABOUT ALL THE TYPOS=BUT THE KEYS ARE STICKING TONIGHT. TIME FOR A NEW COMPUTER)