Vacation is over and my classroom is a mess

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kidsalot, Apr 18, 2008.

1. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Apr 18, 2008

My spring break is ending. I stopped in school today to see my room(it was being used over vacation for extended care) It is a mess!!!! There are piles of paper, books and supplies everywhere. Even the tables and chairs were all over the place! I'm really irritated. When I questioned this I was told 3 different teachers were in the room and one of my students who attended during vacation went into a rage and upended manipulatives, furniture, etc... Although this may have contributed to the disarray to me it looks like the teacher(s) just didn't respect my classroom (I have a very neat organized room). I am going in on Sunday with my husband to straighten up.

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 18, 2008

That is horrible! My classroom is like my second home. I couldn't imagine a stranger just being in there! Sorry!

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 18, 2008

I would be POed too! I don't think I could ever let my room be available for the extended day program. I guess I am just too protective of the stuff my students use. I wouldn't want that to happen to my room.

5. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Apr 19, 2008

I would be tempted to leave it and show the administration. That is wrong for your room to be left like that! But then again, you have your bundle of joys coming in first thing that morning.

I would at least let your administration know about the condition it was in.

We have a program that holds after school in our school and they have to make sure the room is left as it was before they come in.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 19, 2008

Take pictures of it before you straighten it up and show the pictures to adminstrators. They need to know. (If they are like some of mine from the past, they won't do anything about it, but they still need to know.)

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 19, 2008

We have no choice in the matter. We are reminded that they aren't "our rooms" but the school's room. During summer school, every room in our school is used, and if you don't take ALL of your stuff home, you never know what will be missing or destroyed when you get back, even if you pack it away in boxes, duct tape them shut and label them. It is really sad.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2008

I am sorry! It is not fair that the last day of your vacation you have to clean! I agree, take pictures- maybe before the administration allows the group in again they can give them some guidelines or something. Even if a child was acting up, the room shouldn't be left that way!

9. MrH

MrH Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

Do you get any extra $$ for this program being in your room? At my school we have a Saturday School program that comes in EVERY Saturday for the whole year - and we get an extra $100 out of it...

10. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

Thanks for all your feedback! I went to my principal and she was aware of the situation before I went to her. She spoke to the teachers who used the room. I was reassured it would NOT happen again. I decided against going in on Sunday - I honestly couldn't face it. It took me most of Monday to fix the room. I also made it clear to the teachers who used the room that it was not acceptable how the room was left. They had many excuses - kids were rowdy, it looked like that when they came in, etc... Oh well.....

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 25, 2008

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that...I'm very protective of "my" room as well. It's good that your admin is on your side though. Hope things get better.