VA license question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lilmisses1014, Dec 23, 2007.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 23, 2007

I feel like an absolute moron posting this question here, but I was hoping someone could answer my question. I also don't know if I'm posting in the right area, so please accept my apologies if this is to be elsewhere.

I'm relocating to VA as it is virtually impossible to find a job in my area and am applying for my elementary education license (I'm already licensed in two states: PA and OH). All I need to do is pass three exams-- Praxis II, VRA, and VCLA-- to obtain my license.

My question is this: Will the state issue me a provisional non-renewable license (it's valid for three years) without having taken the exams? I could have sworn I read somewhere that I could be issued this license (not on the DOE website, though). Completing the missing requirements isn't an issue at all, but money is so tight right now. I know they issue it to those who enroll in a Career Switchers type of program.

Anyway, I've already called the DOE and asked a couple of questions. Naturally in my conversation I forgot to ask them about this... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for answering my (stupid/embarassing) question!! I wish you all nothing but the best this Holiday season!

:D

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2007

Why not call them back?

4. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Dec 24, 2007

I live in VA and I'm not sure. I know in my area neither of the districts will hire you on a provisional license. I'm not trying to discourage you, but the sooner your able to take the tests the better. Where in VA are you moving to? Good luck and I hope you find the answers to your questions.

5. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 24, 2007

cza, if I didn't receive an answer from this forum then I obviously will call the DOE as soon as possible. I know I'm not the first person in this situation and want to hear from others who have experienced this. When I remembered that I didn't ask them this question, it was a Saturday evening-- too late to call.

mdawson, I'm looking to relocate to SE VA (Hampton Roads area). My husband's entire immediate family lives there and I love the area. Where in VA are you teaching? What grades? I do know of a couple of area districts who will hire teachers who hold a provisional license, and I'm the type of person who wants things done yesterday-- getting these tests out of the way will not be a problem (I'm aiming to take the tests in March). Financially, it's much easier for me to wait until then. Anyway, I'll try calling the DOE on Wednesday (not sure if they're in then, but I'll sure find out when I call). Thanks!!!

:D

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 25, 2007

We have reciprocity with several states. Did you ask the DOE about that?

Oh, and what's the VCLA? I don't recall having to take that one for licensure.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2007

I taught in Catholic School in Norfolk before moving to NJ. There are several teacher prep programs at colleges in the area( ODU, Norfolk State...) so you will be competing against certified, qualified teachers who have probablly done their student teaching in the area... Just because a state allows provisional licenses doesn't mean that districts have to hire 'teachers' with them....most view a provisional less positively than a fully state licensed candidate...

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 25, 2007

I live and teach in Hampton Roads. I don't know of any public school district in this area that will hire you on a provisional license, there are just too many qualified, certified teachers. We have career switcher programs all over the place -- 4 major ones in this area alone.

VA has some of the highest standards for their licenses (or so they say) so you will need to find out if the states you are licensed in have reprocity with VA. A VA license is accepted in 48 states, but VA accepts reprocity with only a few states.

What most locals do if they want to get around it is carpool to NC (Elizabeth City and other rural areas that are hard pressed for teachers -- this is about a 2 hour each way drive) and do this for 2 years. Then then can come here and teach because they have 2 years teaching experience. Seems like a hard way to do it to me.

If you get to the point of considering coming here, let me know. I'll be glad to give you the "low down" on the local districts. We have some excellent places to teach, and some places you might want to avoid.

Good luck!

9. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Dec 26, 2007

I live on the other side of the state in Covington. We are about an hour away from WV. I work in a private school that just opened working with EBD kids in grades 3-7. There were no job openings in any of my surrounding school districts. Good luck with everything.

10. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Dec 26, 2007

i was hired to teach in VA (portsmouth) after i graduated. i had a provisional OH license and all i had to do was take an additional praxis II test... no big deal.

11. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Dec 27, 2007

I live in Hampton Roads and have just graduated from ODU with my MS in Elem Ed. I do know that there are some more rural areas that have been known to hire provisionally-licensed teachers. I have a friend whose student teaching experience was a mentorship rather than a traditional internship. The school needed a teacher and she was hired. She had her BS and was in the final phase of her MS. At ODU, you do not student teach until the last semester of your MS because it is a 5-yr program.

I'm not sure about the testing requirements since you're coming from another state, but I know that Virginia has reciprocity with some states. The Praxis II is super easy in comparison to Praxis I. It's a totally different test. The VCLA and VRA are Virginia tests for communication and literacy and reading assessments. I do know personally of two teachers, one science and one art, who had to leave their jobs because they were not able to pass one of those tests within a given time period.

I'm waiting for my degree to post so that I can apply for my state license.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2007

Where did you hear the 48 state thing? Who are the 2 states that do not take?

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

Everyone, thank you SO much for your advice, comments, etc. I appreciate it more than you know.

I apologize for not responding sooner, as well. I came in a couple of days ago to post a response, but for some reason my computer was acting up and I had to close the page out. Anyway, all of my questions are answered (MsWK, the reciprocity question was the first thing I asked, and the answer is yes). I'm going to register for the March tests and will hopefully have my actual license before the end of this school year.

I know that Portsmouth hires provisionally-licensed teachers as one of my close friends from grad school is a first grade teacher there; she was hired in May or June of '06, and we officially graduated in August '06 with our MATs. I also met someone who teaches in Chesepeake who, like me, studied and became licensed in PA and relocated to this area. I'm fairly certain she said she was hired on a provisional license (this was three or four years ago and she is a special ed teacher... maybe that's why they hired her?); however, she took her exams (and passed on the first try) as soon as she possibly could.

Rainstorm, PA also has high standards and word on the street is that they're raising their standards even higher next year. I'll send you a PM asking questions about area schools later.

I'll be back to post more!! Thanks again, everyone! :D

14. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

Back again...

mdawson, I heard from a friend that in your area there is no major demand for teachers.

MsWK, the VCLA is the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment and was implemented January 1, 2006, I believe.

mom2sands, I'm required to take the Praxis II Elementary Education: Content Knowledge, the VRA, and VCLA. I think what annoys me the most, after all of the money I'll spend, is that I took a Praxis II exam very much like the Elementary Ed one for my PA license. Different name, different test code (Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge, test 0521), but I think they're pretty much the same thing. My only consolation is that I thought 0521 was simple and did really well on it-- 5 points away from a perfect score-- and in theory should breeze through this exam. I did pretty well on the Praxis I exams, too. I'm not at all worried about the VRA and VCLA since it covers topics in which I'm very strong. Good luck to you!!

Thanks again to all of you! In the past couple of days I have had the opportunity to catch up with a friend (the one who teaches in Portsmouth) and meet another teacher who relocated from PA; with the information from them and from all of you (and I can't forget the nice ladies from the DOE), I feel better and more calm about this process.

It's way past my bedtime-- have a great evening!

15. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Dec 31, 2007

Same here! :D

I live in Kentucky now though.