utilizing student teacher aides efficiently?

Discussion in 'High School' started by iluvteachin, Sep 9, 2007.

1. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

I have 2 students who are in my class this year as teacher aides ... I'm wondering for those of you who have/had t.a.(s), what did you do with them?
    anybody who has a "wish list" of what they'd have their t.a. do if they had one?
    just trying to create an expectations sheet and not too sure where to start as this is my first year allowing them in my class.

thanks in advance :cool:

3. mrswilson

mrswilson Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

We have aides in our classes, and they are assigned by us to work one-on-one with students who are mainstreamed but need extra help with academics or behavior. They are really not supposed to do anything else.

Are you talking about student helpers, or adult aides?

My wish list, if I could have them do whatever I needed would be:

--copying (there is always copying to do)
    --taking attendance
    --collecting HW/classwork completed during class
    --make flashcards/study aids
    --organize learning centers/multimedia stations for research, etc
    --circulate and check on note-taking, work completion

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2007

Student aides at my school aren't permitted to do a whole slew of things, so it's sometimes hard to find things for them to do. They can't make or pick up copies because all the copiers are in locked rooms and the graphics guy doesn't like kids in his room. They can't take attendance because that's OUR job and there are some legality issues. They can't grade papers or enter grades in the computer because of confidentiality issues.

Anyway. This is what I ask my student aide to do.

--Collate whenever the graphics guy messes up and doesn't staple my packets together
    --Cut papers in half or quarters using the big slicer-style paper cutter--I try to conserve paper whenever I can, so I always try to fit my quizzes onto half-sheets whenever possible
    --Organize and alphabetize my books
    --Refill my baskets with student paper and blank Cornell note paper (I write these in Latin!)
    --Sharpen pencils before standardized testing dates
    --Locate books in the library and set them aside for me so that I can check them out later
    --File
    --Run errands to the office or to other teachers (dropping things off, picking things up)

When I don't have anything for him to do on a particular day, I ask the teachers in my hallway if they want to use him for the period. If they don't I send him to the library so that he can work on his own homework or play around on the computers.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 9, 2007

-We are allowed to let them grade papers, I sometimes let them grade homework/classwork and the occasional quiz.
    -I let them run off copies for me. Also can organize hadnouts into my "to be handed out" file cabinet which is locked.
    -Erase the board.
    -Set up projects, simulations, and review games for me. As well as come up with questions for my jepordy games.
    -They can update my website, syllabus binder, or sample binder. I have for each class.
    -They can update the table of contents I have for each class.
    -Can put the homework/other information on our homework hotline.
    -Can put up the agenda, homework, and objectives for my classes.
    -They can type worksheets and other handouts on the computer.
    -Organize my files. (Not student files)
    -Oranize classroom supplies.
    -Collect assignments, binders, or projects and place into my in box (well they collect them, put them in alpha order by student # which are on the papers, and write on a sticky note the missing assignments.
    -Pick up supplies, books and other things from other teachers and the office.
    -Run errands for me to other staff members.
    -Assist students.
    -Prepare activties and projects for my upcoming classes.
    -Clean and organize any area of the classroom (my unit binders, library, floors, desks, art supplies, paper, etc.)
    -Staple and hole punch packets.
    -Create posters for things around the classroom (also make new posters for my old ratty ones.)
    -Everything in my classroom is labeled so the kids nowhere everything is, the aides sometimes make labels for them.
    -Circulate around the room to make sure kids are working.
    I think I have covered everything that they do for me, now. Did I mention that I always give them some type of present at the end of the semester for their hard work and candy all the time.

6. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

Wow, thanks for the thorough response and I definitely will be using your suggestions! :) (especially the present at the end of the semester :) )