Using your life to help teach

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 7, 2005

How do you use your life experiences to help teach in the classroom?

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 7, 2005

Last week I was in a third grade classroom that was studying how civilizations build their settlements on the same sites over and over. The site in the book was St. Louis. Our family has visited St. Louis, so I was telling them about the Arch, the museum under the Arch, the Old Courthouse, the hotels/restaurants in the area, and so on. The children were very interested and asked lots of questions.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 7, 2005

I went to Little Rock this weekend and took lots of pictures. I made a powerpoint presentation and the kids loved it. It was a great way to teach about our State Capital. I'm currently making a bb out of all the neat things I got while there.

5. NCP

NCP Comrade

Nov 7, 2005

I have used my Washington D.C. pictures to show the kids the sights there. We read a little guided reading book about DC. I also sometimes will tell my kids about how I remember learning somethings and the way I helped myself remember or things my teacher told me to help me remember.

6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Nov 9, 2005

I also show pictures from my family vacations when the vacations fit our topics. I tell the kids about me when I was a kid and they love it. We were reading a "David" book (David is always in trouble/doing something wrong/being punished) and I made a chart about what we did/what we should do/what happened. Then I started the chart with I took cookies before dinner--I should have waited and asked--I got sent to the corner. They talked about me going to the corner for a month.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2005

I always use my experiences, especially with vacations and when I was their age (I teach 3rd grade). The kids love it, especially because I'm still young (24) and they like when we do subtraction problems to figure out how long ago things happened to me.

I also had the unfortunate opportunity to use a hard life lesson with my 2nd graders last year. My student's stepfather killed my student's mother and then shot and killed himself. Thankfully, she wasn't home at the time. It was a terrible, horrible tragedy that I hope no teacher ever has to face. She had already lost her father when she was 3, so she now had no living parent.

I was in the room when they told her what happened...the grandma she was staying with wanted help to tell her. I shared my experience of losing my mom so she knew I could relate to her. Then I cried in the hallway before I had to go back to the rest of my class, who had no idea what was going on.

Since it was in the news that week, my principal, vp, counselor, and psychologist helped me to tell the rest of my class the following day. A few of the kids already knew about it, but they kept quiet. I told the kids that she would be okay in time but would be sad and it was okay to cry. All of my co-workers left me after we told the kids and I'll never forget how they asked if we could make cards and I went to get the paper and just started crying. My whole class was in tears...and I felt so bad because I wanted to be strong, but I think I taught them that it was okay to cry and be sad. We all hugged each other, made cards, and created a plan for ways to help her. The kids and their families were incredible.

About 2 months later, my school participated in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Pennies for Patients fundraiser. My mom died when I was 4 of lymphoma, so I let the kids and their families know my story. I'll never forget it was right before my birthday and the kids and parents collected extra donations in honor of my mom for my bday. We won the pizza party for collecting the most money...but what hit me the most was when one of my students said "You were right Miss G., Amber will be okay because you turned out real good."