Using your cell phone in different places...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Apr 6, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 6, 2011

Just for fun,
    where do you use your cell phone where you think it's appropriate outside your home?

Today, a lady had her phone on speaker playing some opera music as she walked back and forth in front of the row of chairs I was sitting in for jury duty...I couldn't help but laugh a little because I was caught off guard why someone would do that in a quiet environment!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

The only people who call me on my cell are family members. I have it in case of emergency, so I hardly ever call anyone.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2011

I don't think I've ever gotten a call on my cell phone.

I use it mostly to text my friend while she's in the hosptal for Chemo. Oh, and my kids use it once in a while if they're going out; Brian's phone broke and hasn't been replaced yet.

I HAVE it in case of emergency, but thankfully that hasn't been an issue yet, knock wood.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 7, 2011

I don't actually make a lot of calls or take them (unless they are my children or husband) but I do a lot of texting or emails in different places. If I'm with someone, I may look to make sure it isn't my children or husband but I won't otherwise use the phone, texting or email while with others.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

I hate talking on my cell phone in public.

7. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 7, 2011

We only have cell phones so we use them quite often. I am usually at home when I get/ make calls. If I am in a store and get a call, I usually go outside if it's important or call the person back when I get home. If I am using my cell phone in a store, it's usually sending a quick text message or checking my e-mail. Actually, Julius is the same way.

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 7, 2011

I use my cell phone quiet frequently. If I'm in a very public place then I will text rather than call someone. I'm bothered by those who talk on their cell phones using the speakerphone function in public (train, grocery stores, resturants). If its not bad enough that I have to hear one side of the conversation... Now I have to hear both sides, loudly, and most of the time with static!

I don't think its appropriate to have on your body during work so I locked it up with my purse.

9. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 7, 2011

I'll use my cell phone if I'm standing outside (I'm less likely to bother someone that way). I hate using it when I'm indoors--I'll usually answer if, but I won't have a long conversation. I'm also not terribly fond of texting. I probably send less than 20/month, and those are usually responses to texts that someone sends me.

I have been tempted to make a post here about smartphones. My supervisor told me that smartphones are a teacher's best tool and that all teachers should have them. A blog (TeachPaperless) recommends the same thing. But the idea of a smartphone makes me feel a little weirded out. I like to be disconnected from the world sometimes. I don't always want to have access to a seemingly endless fount of information no matter where I am. I don't want to be able to use Facebook while I'm sitting on the subway--I'm trying to teach myself to be happy doing NOTHING. It's pretty hard as a person who is a part of this tech generation.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2011

I would not pick mine up and make a call when I was in a store, but I would answer it if someone calls me. But I do put it down and ask the person on the other end to hold on or tell them I have to go when I get to the register.

When BF and I go out for casual dining, we pull ours out a lot and check facebook, show each other videos or play a game together. But in a more formal setting, it stays away.

I use the WW app on my phone all the time in the store. But I am not talking.

So I guess I should say I rarely TALK on my phone, and I really don't text much in public either, but I do use the functions on my smart phone pretty frequently.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2011

I am constantly amazed by the very private conversations I hear from people at the store or in public places. I have been shocked a couple of times. I call from a store sometimes (do we need milk - I'll be home soon type of things) but I don't have private, personal conversations.

One thing that bothers me is how much parents ignore their children when they are talking on the phone. For example, a kid is in daycare all day and the parent is talking on the phone when they pick him/her up and continues to talk on the phone on the way home. How does that make a child feel who has been waiting for some love and attention all day?

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2011

Since I'm on a $25/mo plan, I don't have that many weekday minutes, so I don't use my cell that much. I mainly just talk to my BF on it & even then, I try to use the work phone. I have a Bluetooth, so I talk in the car sometimes or put it on speaker. I may talk when shopping/browsing a store. That's about it.

I don't have apps, play games, check email, etc. on my cell at all. I might text EXTREMEly RARELY.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 7, 2011

I do not use my cell phone much at all. Basically for emergencies. Mainly because what cell phones are doing to people. I know some friends who are addicted to their phone and cannot be without it--ever. We just came off a cruise and were standing in line behind two young couples. Once they cleared the ship, each one got out a phone and began texting and talking. I am sure some of it was plans to get out of the terminal, but it was crazy. No one talked to each other the entire time we were in line!