Using Whole Brain Teaching in High School

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by HArak24270, Jul 30, 2010.

1. HArak24270

HArak24270 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I'm scheduled to start teaching 9th grade Bio this fall. Like many new teachers, I'm concerned (hysterical) about classroom management. Do you think WBT strategies are appropriate for managing kids at this grade level? Yes, I've watched the all the WTB videos, but I'd still like to get some feedback from HS teachers who are using or have used this method.

If you don't use WTB methods (or don't know what they are), what strategies do you use to transition between activities, quiet down the class, and get students' attention?

And while we're at it, do you have any good strategies for on-the-spot checks for understanding (such as teach-backs)?

NOTE: I posted here in Secondary Ed because the Behavior Management thread seems to focus on classroom management in Elem classrooms. I'd like to hear from Middle and HS teachers on this matter!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

I use class/yes with my seniors, and it's very effective (I teach in an upper middle-class suburban school, mind you.) I've used the Scoreboard but not all the time--after once or twice, I just need to get out the little whiteboard I used for it, and they'd straighten up. I think for 9th grade bio, you could use teach/okay effectively, and a 9th grade colleague of mine who teaches Health said her students loved using gestures with vocabulary.

4. HArak24270

HArak24270 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Thanks very much for your response!

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of Teach/Okay. Is it a way to check for understanding? If so, how can you be sure the kids really do get the concept when they are all talking at once? Or, is this more of an engagement/behavior management tool?

One more quick question - how much time, approximately, did it take for your kids to learn WBT procedures, particularly the scoreboard?

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2010

When you are taught something, you may or may not learn it, but if you're taught a fact, then turn to a partner and teach it to them, and have them in turn teach it back to you, the information goes through different parts of the brain and is learned more effectively. I don't really use it with senior English, which focuses less on facts, but I think it's a great idea for objective information.

The first thing I teach my kids, on the first day of school, is class/yes. Do the scoreboard the very first day, as is described, and they'll get it immediately (i.e., you make sure you win.)

6. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

Teach-OK is used to reinforce concepts and monitor the understanding of students. As they teach each other they remember the concepts better than they tend to if they just hear them from you.

With teach-ok you can monitor the students as you walk around to see if they are actually engaged or not, something that you cannot do if they are working on a worksheet.

With Teach-Ok you can also add the Switch with a tag team for secondary kids. Have the partners teach each other with a Switch so only one partner is teaching at a time, but add tag team. The students have control of when you switch. When the teaching partner finishes, they slap hands with the listening partner to show they have switched roles.