Using the overhead as a center

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kinderkids, Jul 8, 2005.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2005

I am going to try and use the overhead more this year for my kinderbeaners! They really enjoy it, but I need to come up with some center ideas for using it. If you have any good uses for it during center time, I'd appreciate your input!

3. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

Jul 8, 2005

I did part of my student teaching in Pre-K and my mentor teacher used the overhead quite often. She would put the magnetic letters in a tub next to it so the students could spell their names and look at it on the board. During a farm unit, we had felt animal cutouts that the students used to create their own farm. That was just some of the things that I remember. Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 8, 2005

Kids also seem to enjoy writing on the overhead... so could you do "find the letter/word" etc. activities (the kind of things you'd do during Morning Messages) and let them complete it on the overhead, using markers or whatever?

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2005

Those are great ideas. The children generally spend 20 minutes at a center so I need to make sure they can stay occupied and interested so I could incorporate both ideas. If you have any more, I'd appreciate it. They really love using the markers...........and playing "teacher"

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2005

I used the following activities when I taught Kindergarten and they really loved them : 1) get a set of overhead onset and rhyme tiles. Let them make rhyming words for designated word families. 2) Make overheads of nursery rhymes and have them circle the sets of rhyming words in different colors. 3) I would also do the give them letters and let them spell their names (your right Alyssa they really like it) Hope this helps :)

7. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 8, 2005

You can give them sight words and let them practice writing them on the overhead with different color markers. Let them play with overhead pattern blocks and attribute blocks- they can make patterns and make creative pictures. You can get a hundreds board and those packs of colored dots (like 3.00 for 250 dots) and have them practice counting on the number grid.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2005

Thanks for the great ideas. Question for MelissainGa.......is there a place you can order the onset/rhyme tiles online? You all had some great suggestions and can't wait to use them at my center!

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 8, 2005

If you look in the ethnic aisle at the stores you can find ABC pasta in the packs... tiny.. good for fine motor skills, too.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 8, 2005

Could you tape up a large sheet of paper to the wall and put a shape on the over head and let the kids practice tracing shapes onto the paper.
    Another idea would be to put a solid shape or figure up and give the kids a sheet with corresponding shapes, like 4 in a row, let them circle the right shape. Or use it to do a type of bingo game, let the kids all have a bingo card with letters or shapes, and then you pick a shape or letter, teach them how to cover the shapes they have with a marker and how many they have to have in a row to win the game, to earn a sticker or stamp if they win.

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 8, 2005

I also leave my overhead math manipulatives out for them to use. They do love this center and I usually have to set a timer so they can rotate through it! :)

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2005

Thanks again for some more good ideas. I will have some great ways to use this center. Appreciate it!

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 9, 2005

Sorry for the delay in answer (My AP had bought the tiles and I didn't know where she got them, they just showed up in my room). I found some that look similar @ www.trcabc.com/manipulatives/overhead_tiles.htm for $17.95 per set. Hope it helps.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2005

Oh Great site. I see they have lots of overhead manipulatives along with the onset/rime tiles. THANKS!