Using the "moose notebooks"

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by NC1stGradeTeach, Aug 18, 2009.

1. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

This school year I learned that K-2 students will not get agendas so I decided to use moose notebooks. I plan on including folders and pencil pouches on my class supply list.

Can someone explain how to get the notebooks started? I have decided what will go in the notebook. On the first day of school students will be bringing in items for the notebooks.

So when do I start send them home??

Thanks

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2009

what's a moose notebook? What is the purpose for them?

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

I won't be much help. I found that the moose binders took way to much of my time keeping them organized and updated.

I would start sending them home after you have your parent night, so you can explain how they work.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 20, 2009

I love the idea, and plan to use a "modified" moose book. Instead of the binders ($30 per case of 12), I'm taking 3 two-pocket folders (without brads), laminating them, and binding them together (for free) at my teacher resource center. It will be my students' T.I.G.E.R. book. (Today I've Got Everything Ready). One folder will be for graded papers - one side for keep at home & one for return to school. Another will be for school paperwork - again one side for keep & one side for return. One will be for daily communication - I give a daily conduct grade, and exchange notes frequently with parents. I would like to do the pencil pouches, but I don't think I can bind them (too bad, because I already have them!). I have a "What is a T.I.G.E.R. book" flyer for my parents, and everything will be labeled. Google Moose binder, and there are MANY wonderful sites by teachers, and they descirbe them beautifully!

6. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

We use a plastic envelope that has an open pocket on one side and a loop closure on the other. We slide a notebook (this year we are using a primary planner that just has the dates and ruled lines) in the open pocket. The kids write a "Today we..." message to their parents for a conversation starter. Any homework/notes to parents/etc. goes in the closed portion of the envelope. It goes back and forth each day so parents can write me notes in the planner and communication gets back and forth.

7. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 26, 2009

I use a B.E.E. (Bring Everything Everyday) Book with my kids. I send it home over the first weekend with a B.E.E. Book Contract (simple rules for using the book). The parents review the contract with their child as they become familiar with the binder, and return it on Monday, signed. (There is a place for both parents and child to 'sign'). Then, I go over the book during Open House and answer any questions.