Using the 5 Essential Developmental Domains in my weekly lesson plan

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by beginnerteacher, Aug 18, 2012.

1. beginnerteacher

beginnerteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

I am a New Head Start teacher and they have now added the 5 Essential Develoment Domains in our weekly lesson plans:Cognitive, Language/Literacy, Social/Emotional, Physical Approaches to Learning. We have to write something in each block, but I need an example of what to write. Not sure what to write in this area. Please Help!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2012

Lets pretend you wish to discuss Apples/Red/and the begining of the fact that there are letters in the world not necessarily recognizing A,B,C but more print awareness.

That is the part some would call you "theme"

Cognitive: What take away skill would you like them to aquire this lesson? Perhaps: Apples grow on trees. So book about apples and a pic to paint with apples and perhaps a flannel board where you assemble an apple tree. Taste apples, cut apples and so on.

Language and lit: pick a rhyme for apples...I know some...do you? Pick some books...put them around the room. Depending on your programs view of print...post the word apple around and notice the letters. Otherwise point at the words in the books as you read them and say the story is held in the words not the picture.

Soc/emotional: happy/sad faces, how do you make friends and keep them...how to get along with peers and some activitiy for a couple of these.

Physical approaches to learning: what do you think this means? you tell me?

4. beginnerteacher

beginnerteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

thank you so much for your help...this gave me an idea of what to write

5. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

"Physical approaches to learning: what do you think this means?"
    Maybe sensory? To add to the apple theme, I've been on Pinterest for the better part of the last hour looking up "fall sensory tables" and "apple sensory tables". The ideas are extraordinary!

Another physical approach might be "building" your letter of the week. Blocks, rice, dot art, shaving cream, etc. all in the shape of the letter.

Just my guess to physical approaches.

:) Sarah

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2012

I guess Head Start doesn't consider arts, crafts, music, etc. to be important.:eek: Am I missing something or did you just have 4 domains listed? Aren't they providing you with training and guidance? :dizzy:

Sorry - not your fault - just gets me when such a major program....don't get me started....:dizzy::dizzy:

Anyway - physical is probably both fine and gross motor so they could do gross motor stuff like reaching up or down to pick up apples, move across the room and put them in baskets or fine motor stuff like putting clothespins on laminated apples.

Social/emotional could be something like asking them how they feel about eating apples and graphing or journaling it, or having less apples than children and asking them how to share them.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 21, 2012

Have they not shown you the outcomes? Visit the Head Start web site and you will find some information.

8. beginnerteacher

beginnerteacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2012

Thanks everyone for your help.

9. lnwpen88

lnwpen88 New Member

Nov 29, 2014

Thank you so much for your help!

10. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Dec 9, 2014

Most Headstarts don't do "Themes" but still in essence that summation is correct. If you are using the domains, I assume you are using Teaching Strategies/Creative Curriculum and yes, art/music are considered important. They are just not included as separate entitities in the domains. In fact most of what is "Art" or "Music" falls under the domains and can be included in them. For isntance an art extension on a story: "It looked like spilt milk" for instance can be considered under literacy, physical, and cognitive and math.

11. MissMCK

MissMCK New Member

Feb 11, 2015

Playing hopscotch is a good physical approach to learning because numbers are involved. Also, I love Greg & Steve's music/movement CDs, which provide lots of fun ways to learn/develop while engaging in physical activities. My little students never get tired of the 'Going On A Bear Hunt' movement activity, which addresses the concepts of over, under, through, up, down, etc.