Using technology to maintain student attention

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Longfellow, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Longfellow

Longfellow Rookie

Jun 8, 2012

Hey all,

I teach a fourth grade class, but I find that it is getting harder to make effective lesson plans that engage their attention. A new approach I was going to try was by basically using more powerpoint based lesson plans but I need to make an effective argument for them before I submit a request form.

I know some teachers like being able to readily write and have their students follow along as they write on overhead sheets, but my handwriting is a bit too messy. In addition, I want to be able to add media and little animations that get the point across (for science hour).
    Has anyone had good experience using projectors in their classrooms vs. overhead sheets?

For the curious: The AAXA p3 projector was to be my cost compromise solution
    [​IMG]

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2012

I love having a projector. I can still write with the students, I can organize my lessons and easily save them from year to year, I can add in movies, animations, games, etc.

4. Longfellow

Longfellow Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully a yes!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

My 12 year old daughter's worst complaint about her social studies teacher:

"Every single day he puts up screen after screen of powerpoint."

I use my projector a lot, particularly if I'm doing graphing; I put the graph paper right up on the screen and the kids can really see what I'm doing.

Probably the best way to keep their attention is to mix it up-- use different approaches for different lessons.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

I definitely agree with mixing up! The students like when we change things a bit but keep the same structure to the lesson.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 11, 2012

Super quick video clips are a great way to inject some life in to a lesson. Videos for science and history in particular are so well done now, and can really help bring a concept to life for students. Do you have access to youtube at your school?

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 11, 2012

PowerPoint can be such a great tool if used correctly. I have very slow handwriting, so I also only use PowerPoint. However, I just don't go slide after slide and read to the kids. I hate when there is tons of text on a slide and the kids just copy it without any explanation. PowerPoint is better suited for use of minimal text, media, graphics, and video. That way the kids have to pay attention to what the teacher is saying. PowerPoint shouldn't be the whole lesson, just a part of it.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 11, 2012

Since I have always used SMARTboards I could never do anything else. I even write neater on them. I really don't even understand how to go about writing on a white board or chalk board (neatly)

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 11, 2012

I have used chalk and board, and whiteboards, but since I've been blessed with a smartboard, I don't think I'll ever go back!! I use my smartboard ALL DAY, and it keeps my ADD/OCD self from going off on tangents, lol. It allows me to use quick video clips, powerpoint games & activities, etc. When I read aloud to my kiddos, quite often I'll put the book under my Elmo so everyone can see it on the board. I do have a dry-erase board, and I use it a little, but not nearly as much as my smartboard & projector!

11. Jimhassel

Jimhassel Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Yes everybody now days agreed that student focus on technology. And if one is using the same in study then definitely get attention. Using projector, power point and flash make study fun. If you get the attention then your job become more easy.

12. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jun 12, 2012

I love my projector because I can add animations and pictures to notes, I can put pictures up large enough for everyone to see and allow me to point out things. I like it to show short video clips to review concepts or introduce concepts. I am working on bell work to use with my projector this summer. I also love it to use with remote responders so it can show the questions and answer options without me coping papers.

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 12, 2012

I agree that doing something too much will always become stale to some degree.

As to those commenting on SMARTboards, here's a pet peeve in my district that I just don't understand: They mount the SMARTboard over top of existing whiteboards. Why? Either move a whiteboard, or mount the SB somewhere else.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

In my district they do the same thing. It's because the wall where the whiteboard is mounted is also the wall where all the wiring and whatnot is located. Although I understand it, I think it's stupid. My Promethean board is mounted on top of my whiteboard, front and center, but it's been out of commission all year. Before this year it was broken for about a year and a half. Since the Promethean doesn't work, I get stuck with the little sections of whiteboard visible on either side of the Promethean. It's a mess.

Next year I won't have this problem because I'm moving to a different classroom.

15. Longfellow

Longfellow Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

I agree on the point that injecting multimedia in terms of video and pictures is more stimulating that simply writing an idea out. More stimuli should make the overall lesson plan more engaging. I do have access to Youtube at my school. Do you know of any good channels with educational materials?

16. Longfellow

Longfellow Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

On the point of using Smartboards: I would love if we had it in our budget to get every classroom one but those are around $2000-$5000 a piece! The AAXA P3 Projector I proposed was only around $250 and the reviews have been fairly positive on its performance and its ability to connect with many different multimedia devices. I plan on storing lesson plans on my laptop and just plugging in the projector when I am ready to go.