Using Quotes in Writing

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ReadytoTeach, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ReadytoTeach

ReadytoTeach Rookie

Oct 17, 2010

I am at a loss this year as to how to make my students STOP using so many quotes in their stories. Every time they write a narrative, for many of them it reads like more like a play...and a boring one at that. I know that they are trying to give details, but how can I get them to start using quotes productively?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2010

Maybe have your students first write their story without any dialogue. Then on the second draft let them add dialogue.

I would also do a mini lesson on using dialogue. Pull out those wonderful chapter books and ask them what they see. Make sure that they note that dialogue is used sparingly.

4. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Oct 18, 2010

Our team gives the students a paragraph graphic organizer with a place for the topic sentence, three details with two elaborations for each detail, concluding sentence, and a checkbox for ONE quote that fits into the paragraph. This has greatly limited the boring "play-like" writing that you are referring to. If they include more than one quote they have to rewrite the entire thing. Good luck!