using principal as reference

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Mar 30, 2008.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Mar 30, 2008

i am an instructional aide seeking a job. basically all the aides in my school are in the same position. there are two job openings next year and we are all of course hoping to get the jobs.

well, i am not banking on that happening..so i am continually searching elsewhere. should i ask the principal to be used a reference? when i interviewed as an aide she seemed to be completely aware of the fact that i would be seeking my own classroom (since i am certified and originally applied for a teaching job). she would probably give a great reference but i don't know if it is appropriate to ask. if i do ask, what should i say? thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2008

Are you looking for one of the positions in district? If so I wouldn't advertise that you are also looking elsewhere...

Why not just list "references available upon request" on your applications/resume and then if needed ask the principal then- MOst districts don't check references until thy are ready to offer you the job.

4. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Mar 30, 2008

I'm a bit confused (not terribly unusual!).

Are you currently working at the same school with the two openings? Are they cutting staff; is that why you feel your job is in jeopardy?

If you believe your principal is positive towards your work experience, I would approach her and ask if she would be willing to give you a reference should you lose your current position and need to transfer or change districts. Most principals I've worked with have been very supportive in these types of issues.

Who knows? She may just assure you that you don't need to worry about moving.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

How many aides are certified teachers? I had that same problem. I asked the principal for a letter of recommendation. He gave me one. This year because of a possible reduction in force, I asked my principal for a letter of recommendation. I have never had a problem asking a principal for one. When I was an aide they knew I was looking for a teaching position and all wrote me a letter.

Good luck!

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 30, 2008

I am a sub and I asked my main principal for one, too.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 30, 2008

If you feel that your principal would be able to reflect on your professionalism as an educator, then go for it. If he/she has seen you in the classroom helping out with the students, I would definitely ask for them to be included.

However, if all he/she did was hire you and speak to you a few times, I would try to find somebody more appropriate. I would really base it off how much communication you two have had since being an aide in the school.

8. roamer

roamer Companion

Apr 3, 2008

I wouldn't do that. I had something like that on my resume and was hauled in by the director of student services and chastised for it. He said "NEVER do that again." I need to make it as easy as possible for them to verify any information on my resume. He even printed a copy of his resume to give me to use as an example.

I did get the job, but I learned that, at least in this district, not putting phone numbers and email addresses for all of my references is a big no-no.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2008

I would ask for the letter. The principal knows what the odds are and shouldn't be surprised that you are looking elsewhere. I'm asking the principal at the school I'm tutoring at for a letter.