Using photos of kids with faces shown?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Birdie86, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jun 10, 2015

Would you say for a teaching portfolio to showcase your room or students engaged in activities, etc. that this is okay or not? I've heard mixed things. I understand not putting the photos online of course, but in a portfolio for example? I've seen some teachers do it, and some that blur the faces then print them out...however, I do not know how to do that.

Can I also get advice on putting photos in a binder portfolio rather than a scrapbook? If any of you have done it, what is yours like? I have a 1.5" binder portfolio with my documents and lessons/art in sheet protectors, but can't imagine how it would look to do the same with pics and still look really nice and professional.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2015

I would get parent permission to be on the safe side. Most, if they know what the purpose of the photo is for, will be completely fine with it.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2015

I wouldn't use student photos for any purpose within parent permission.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 10, 2015

How about putting stickers over the faces or something? That, or get parents to sign a release that states your intended usage.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 10, 2015

Not without parent permission.
    For the binder, design a scrapbook style page, but put it inside a sheet protector.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2015

I wouldn't even bother taking the time to get permission. Just cover the faces.

A teacher in a school I once worked at thought she had all her bases covered. She asked the parent for permission, got the paper signed, and published the student's pic. Long story short...the parents had a custody battle and the other parent sued the teacher for breach of privacy. Everything was eventually settled by the union, but aggravating for the teacher.

Another story...I once worked at a school with lots of dignitary type people, many diplomats, etc. We were specifically told never to publish the children's pics due to rules in the countries that the dignitaries represented.

Hey...you teach long enough and you can experience almost every situation possible!

8. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jun 10, 2015

Thanks everyone for the input! I definitely don't want any issues! The ones that have their faces shown or semi-shown I'll just put a sticker over! I'm asking because I have an interview coming up and could like to have pics in my portfolio.

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 10, 2015

I've gotten quite good at taking pictures that don't show faces :) I'd recommend that. Then you don't need to worry about permission.

10. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 11, 2015

I work in an extremely large district that has paperwork for everything. Everything. Seriously. Everything. Including permission forms to photograph children.
    See if your district or school has permission forms, if they do, then there is literally nothing a parent can throw at your personally, because you were no longer acting individually but as part of the district.