Using pen during writing in first grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 11, 2007

Do any of you have your students (primary grades) write in pen during writing workshop? I'm inspired by this one website, where the kids write in different color pens for the different stages of the writing process. When they publish, they write in pencil so they can erase if needed. I like the idea that they can't erase during their draft, just cross out, so I can see their thought process.

3. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Mar 12, 2007

I love that idea.

4. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Mar 12, 2007

I let my third graders use pen when they're writing in their journals because they are so quick to erase what they have written. I tell them that the stuff we think is bad sometimes turns out to be the best stuff we've written, so they mark through their work with a single line so that it's not gone forever. A lot of them just get a kick out of being able to use a pen.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 12, 2007

I think my kids would love it... only I'd have to teach them how to use it appropriately. I could just see them coloring all over the place with their pens.

On the website it says blue for draft, green for revision, and red for editing. Right now they are doing revision with prompting from me, so I think we'll just do the blue and red. A friend of mine in third grade does partner editing in orange and evaluation/reflection in purple.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2007

It could work...but I have a few kids that would just be horrible with it.........give it a try, let us know how it works out!

What was the website?

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Mar 13, 2007

Write in blue, fix it in red and improve in green pen. (Kids don't write over and over the same text...)