Using Nursery Rhymes to teach Sight Words

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jarcherry, Jun 8, 2014.

1. jarcherry

jarcherry Rookie

Jun 8, 2014

Does anyone use nursery rhymes to teach sight words (like text marking all of the "the" words in the poem Hey Diddle Diddle, THE cat and THE fiddle, THE cow jumped over THE moon...)? I need a list of what poems have a high frequency of specific sight words. Anyone have anything like that to share?
    Thanks

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 8, 2014

Obadiah likes this.
  4. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Jun 18, 2014

I never used the nursery rhymes but one of my friend used the following rhymes for his kids

1. I am little teapot
    2. Itsy Bitsy Spider
    3. Wee Willie Winkie

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Miss Kinders

Miss Kinders Rookie

Oct 11, 2015

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 7, 2015

I am a big fan of Heidi Songs since her alphabet videos worked so well for my students. Now that everyone but one student has mastered at least 46/52 upper and lower case letters we are focusing more on blending and reading sight words (our curriculum called for introducing them after the student knew only a few letters so even as we just finished the alphabet we already have taught 14 sight words) and my students weren't keeping up with the pace that the curriculum was introducing them so I supplemented with these fun short little songs and it is really helping.

Obadiah likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 8, 2015

What a great idea! These lessons begin with accessing students' prior knowledge, use literature in the lesson, use rhyme and rhythm, spark their curiosity, and they're just plain fun! Nursery rhyme language is so rich, too, it's the equivalent of an upper elementary use of poetry. I'm even envisioning applications for nursery rhyme use in math (Wee Willie Winkie at nighttime), STEM (Humpty Dumpty), the names of animal babies (Mary Had a Little Lamb), etc. For upper grades--unusual plurals (Little Bo Peep Has Lost Her Sheep), STEM (Jack jumped over the candlestick) and (Humpty Dumpty again, including putting Humpty together again with the fairy's magic glue), and so on!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 10, 2015

Scholastic used to have a great set of sentence strips for nursery rhymes. It came with little covers to block out repetitive words that you wanted students to pick up. I haven't seen this set in a long time, but it was fabulous.

9. alacris

alacris Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

Hickory Dickory Dock
    Itsy Bitsy Spider
    Little Miss Muffet
    Rock a Bye Baby
    I am little teapot