Using music as form of learning in the general ed classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WeathS, Sep 6, 2010.

1. WeathS

WeathS New Member

Sep 6, 2010

Hello!
    I am an early field intern and I am currently researching the benefits of using music in the general education classroom as an effective strategy for development and learning.

I would love to hear from some wonderful elementary level teachers about your experiences.

Have you found using music in the classroom to be effective?

How have you used music in the classroom?

Thank you, I can not wait to hear your thoughts!:whistle::whistle:

3. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Sep 6, 2010

Well, I am a new teacher but I remember as a elementary student my teacher always play classical music. He explain something about research and simulating our thoughts. Now that I am teacher, I am consider doing the same thing playing classical music. I will keep you abreast of any signs that it is working or not working.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

Check out the Music Integrated Literacy Enhancement (mile program).

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2010

You can find lots of catchy little songs for learning various concepts. And it seems that the kids are much more likely to remember what they have learned as a song.

(My writer's workshop is usually very quiet, until someone breaks out in song to remember how to spell "purple" or some such thing)

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2010

I use a lot of music in many different ways - as routines for the kids to know what to do next, to aid transitions, as a teaching tool for auditory learners, for music and movement, for enjoyment, to settle them down, to change the mood, to expose them to different types of music or music from other cultures. Many of them are really short but I probably use 20-25 songs a day. There is a lot of power in turning a song on and they clean up without you asking, or line up or whatever - it is like magic once they get it!

7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 7, 2010

I use music during extended writing time and to teach lots of concepts in science and math. I particularly love "Here Comes Science" by They Might Be Giants.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 7, 2010

I use lots of music, mostly classical. Einstein listened to Mozart, so I tell my kids that when we start math.

9. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 7, 2010

Not so much from my actual teaching experience, but more from my preparations alongside my friends...

My friends and I were setting up my classroom the other day, at the same time as brainstorming for a friend who is starting next week as a first time fourth grade teacher. Let's just say that every thirty seconds one of us would burst into another song from mid-elementary school, about every topic under the sun, from regions of the United States to writing cursive. I think we're proof enough that it's definitely an aid to learning!

(And yes, I use song obsessively in my classroom)

10. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

BEST. ALBUM. EVER. I can't wait to use it this year!