Using Material from the Internet in the Classroom: Copyright Concerns

Discussion in 'Library/Media Teachers' started by Jack D Neefus, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Jack D Neefus

Jack D Neefus New Member

Nov 2, 2015

Is there a good source, article, or website that provides a basic framework for what can be used in the classroom (with or without permission) from a legal perspective?

This would included copyrighted works, Internet articles, and message board posts. For example, could a Dylan Thomas poem be displayed on a projector, or could a message board comment be used to illustrate grammar?

Would appreciate any links or suggestions.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

4. Jack D Neefus

Jack D Neefus New Member

Nov 2, 2015

Thank you! Those seem to be great links.

5. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Sep 25, 2016

§ 107 · Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106a, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ21.pdf

anon55 likes this.
  6. texasteacher201

texasteacher201 Rookie

Jun 23, 2017

I teach English online, but since I don't work for a public school or nonprofit, I'm unsure as to how to apply the fair use guidelines to my situation in order to avoid copyright infringement.

If I use free articles/reading passages that I find on a website available to the public at no cost, can I use them in my lessons? Since they are free and accessible for my students either way, it seems like citing the source would make it fair, as the resources are already free, but I'm not 100% sure :/ (I live the the United States)