Using Marzano's 6-Step Process for building vocabulary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Giggles, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Nov 2, 2013

Do any of you utilize Marzano's Six Step Process for Building Academic Vocabulary? This is a school wide push this year, and I am finally starting it this week. The whole process just seems so blah and dry to me. Teachers are expected to introduce 10 new words to second grade students each week, and have students complete a template for each word that they learn. This template includes the word, student definition, new learning (synonyms, antonyms, etc), drawing, and a place to evaluate their understanding.

How can I keep my students engaged in this process when even I think that it is so dull and boring?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 2, 2013

That sounds sort of like what I'm supposed to do for word study. How do I handle it? I go over the words with kids on Monday, give them a weekly menu for homework, and I collect it all the next Monday and give them a test. I don't have time in class for them to do all that stuff, and I really don't see any reason to try and find the time.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 3, 2013

I have taught Vocabulary using Manzano's 6 step approach. I did 2 things that helped make it more interesting, meaningful, fun, and helped them to remember the words better.

The first thing is after we went through most of the 6 steps. I chose 5 words that were easy to animate. I first modeled how to act out a word and the students laughed. Then, I had the students get in groups of 5 in the front of room and they acted out that word. I took a quick picture. It didn't take long to take 5 pictures with 5 students in each group. I downloaded the pictures and printed them out with the Vocabulary word written on it. I put the pictures on a bulletin board. The students loved looking at the bulletin board. Also their scores started to increase a lot. In weeks to come, I had them act out more words including all 10 out of 10. Sometimes that is a bit time consuming though.

Second, I modeled some really funny pictures quickly drawn for a word. I call them "picture snacks". They are to be drawn quickly and just enough to get the main idea of what the word is about.

5. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Nov 3, 2013

Those are great ideas! I will definitely try those out with my class. Thank you!

6. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Nov 3, 2013

love the acting out and taking picture idea!