Using Magnetic Poetry

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by msb, Apr 17, 2008.

1. msb

msb Rookie

Apr 17, 2008

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on how to use magnetic poetry. I was thinking of putting my students in groups of 2-3 and work together to form poetry from the words. Should they put them on cookie sheets? How many words should I give them per group? I haven't figured out what form of poetry just yet. We are currently working on haiku.

I have approximately 35 - 39 students per class; I teach 7th and 8th grade classes.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

3. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

4. msb

msb Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Thank you for your response and the link! I might use it for some shorter poetry forms like senryu. For next year, I will definitely add it to my lesson. I guess I will experiment a bit with it.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2008

I bought 3 cookie sheets for $9.99 at Wal Mart and use them with anything magnetic.

You can also use the words to search for parts of speech, show examples of complete and incomplete sentences, isolate subjects and predicates, demonstrate rhyming patterns. If you do any shape poems, it can be fun to use the magnetic words - easier for kids who don't write so well.

6. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Glad I could help! Good luck with your lesson. If you have a dollar store around they may have cheap cookie sheets to use.