Using Kool aid to dye fabric

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by keep_smiling, Oct 16, 2008.

1. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

I cant find orange fabric dye anywhere Walmart is out. Walmart is even out of yellow and red. Somebody somewhere is doing a huge project.

Anyway~ I heard of TV last night that you can use Koolaid. Has anyone ever done this? Does it work?

The Koolaid website said to mix 1 packet koolaid with 1/2 C. water and 1 TBSP viniger. Per ounce of fabric. Using boiling or steaming to set the dye.

I need to tye dye 20 t-shirts~~~thant alot of koolaid!!!

Any other suggestions or will koolaid work?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 16, 2008

Coolaid will work fine, but make sure you use the stuff that's not pre-sweetened (it's cheaper that way too). My suggestion, instead of using an iron, is to wring them out as best as you can and toss them into the dryer.

4. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

we actually have a washer/dryer at the center. I forgot to mention that my intention was to put everything in the washer. Koolaid, tshirts, and viniger and let it go a whole cycle. Then toss them in the dryer.

How many koolaid packets do I need? Would it be better if I pour some food coloring in there too?

Our washer/dryer is one of the smaller dryer on top washer on bottom units. So the small load is VERy small.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 16, 2008

I dye fabrics in a sink...not my washer. I usually let it sit for a couple hours, then wring and toss in the dryer. Food coloringwould work, but not the cheap liquid stuff. You would need the expensive gel or paste. Kook aid is still your best bet.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 16, 2008

I think the kool aid will work. It works on hair! I would do it in the washing machine on the hottest setting and let it sit even longer than it says. It will make for easier clean up.