Using iPads

Discussion in 'General Education' started by els920, Jul 21, 2011.

1. els920

els920 Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

Hi everyone,
    I am new on here and was hoping to get some advice. I recently found out that my classroom will be gaining about 7 iPads. I will be teaching the lowest group this upcoming school year. I was wondering if any of you have these and/or use them in your classroom? I know they do lots of great stuff, but am unsure where to start. Thanks![/

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

I love them. For student use you have a few options. The first I use with struggling readers (even in HS), in that the iPad can read text aloud. Thus for my IEP students that need that, they plug in some headphones and the iPad reads ANY text I have on it, to them: their textbook, primary sources, whatever.

For younger kids, there are also tones of learning/review games out there. Browse the App store, you should find plenty free ones to try out.

4. els920

els920 Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

Thanks-that sounds great!

5. MsCTeaches

MsCTeaches Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

I offered to write a grant to cover the cost for iPads at my school...my principal said no. Seriously.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

I really need to figure out how to best use my ipad. I feel like it's capable of so much more. The Apple Store does tutorials. You may want to take advantage of that.

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

Well, as a teacher... there are LOTS of teacher tools for the iPad, especially if your district will let the iPads get onto the network for internet access. I use mine all day. My gradebook and attendance are on it, so I walk around the room to check homework on the iPad. Additionally, my computer can be controlled via the iPad, so I run my PowerPoint lectures with it ,and walk around the room to present. It works better than a presenter remote because I can see the presentation on my own screen, as well as the next slides, and previous slides.

I also take it to meetings with me. I can pull up a kid's grade and records anywhere in the building. I use it as a notepad (because my handwriting is awful), and have stopped carrying a pen. I know this whole post sounded like an Apple advertisement, but that's really not my intent. I just love how it's made my job easier. But the same could be said for virtually any tablet brand that your school might provide software for.

8. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Ron, how do you get them to read text aloud? I would love to know!

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

There is also a program that will run your smartboard remotely if you have one.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

I couldn't afford an iPad, so I just purchased an Acer Iconia 500 Tablet. It has Android 3.0, so it will do almost anything an iPad will, and one of those things is to run the software to link to my SmartBoard! I'm sooooo happy!

12. els920

els920 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

Thanks everyone! And, thanks for the link! Love it :)

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 29, 2011

Do you know the name of it?