Using Instructional Assistants

Discussion in 'General Education' started by McKennaL, Jul 23, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

In anticipation for a interview i have on Friday....

tell me about your use of, and exerience with, Instructional Assistants. Not co-teachers, but assistants that come into the classroom and help your (special ed and RtI) students through interventions, pull-out/push in situations, "PLC' <-not sure what that is, etc.

Good experiences and bad ones as well.

ANY information would be helpful! Thanks!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

I have had a wonderful experience with my present assistant. She stays with me all day(except when they pull her for extra duties). She teaches small groups, helps with all aspects of childcare, and attends inservice to help her become a better assistant. She doesn't do grades or planning, but is always available when I need input or something extra done. She loves to do bulletin boards so I give her that job. She hates using glitter, so I do those activities. We will stay together until we both retire!

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Bumping this back up to the top...after today's drama hid it away.

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 23, 2009

A test for an effective is aide is how students perform when the aide is not there. Do students begin and sustain work without teacher assistance or do they wait for the teacher to give one-on-one help which they have become accustomed?

I had an aide who was expert and promoting learned helplessness. As soon as she walked in the door 5-6 hands would shoot up "I don't get this!", "I don't know what to do?" On the payroll for helping kids and being conscientious she would begin to undo in thirty seconds what had taken me three months to do -- develop non dependency on adults and work independently. With the best of intentions she was promoting failure while lowing self-esteem.

If you have an aide who promotes independent work habits by all means keep her/him and use often. If you find your needy kids seem to only work when you are standing over them then fall off task as soon as you walk it may be an indication of "aiditus".