Using Goodreads for a Class Reading Log

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 10, 2014

Hello there!

I am interested in using Goodreads as a class reading log. I have a Goodreads account that I use on a personal level and I love it!

Please let me know if you've successfully used Goodreads in the classroom. My questions:

1. How do you create a username/log in for each child? Don't they need an email address?

2. Is it difficult to set the group to "private" so that no one other than myself, my students, and our administration can see the group?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :lol:

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 10, 2014

I'm pretty sure that Goodreads has a 13+ age requirement. I guess this may be able to be waived with parent permission. Just something to keep in mind.

Have you heard of Biblionasium? it's kind of the same idea as Goodreads, but for kids. 4th grade at my school is using it and liking it as far as I know. We are still thinking of using it in 5th, maybe second semester.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2014

Yellowdaisies is probably correct about an age requirement.

Some reviews have pictures and gifs that are not school appropriate. Not to mention language. For that reason alone, I, personally, would not use it.

However, if you choose to, there is a way to have a private group. A group of friends and I have a book club that meets in person. We have a private Goodreads group, too. It is not even searchable. I have to share the link or add someone in order for them to join.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 15, 2014

Awesome idea! I will certainly check it out. Thanks!