Using Folders/Notebooks

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mrswhitley, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mrswhitley

mrswhitley New Member

Aug 13, 2008

How do you use folders/notebooks/spirals in your classroom? Do you have different ones for different subjects? I’ve taught higher grades in the past and this will be my first time working with a younger grade. I’d like suggestions and pros/cons from teachers who have experience. Thanks!

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

I use them for journals, science logs, "work to finish," take home folder, and they use one spiral bound for their own drawing and writing. We also use a folder to hold the words to all the songs and poems we learn in class.

One thing that helped SO much was asking for specific colored folders and assigning each color a task- so, everyone would take out their red folder, and that was our writing folder; take out the green folder, everyone had their science folder.

I collected any extra folders and we used them later in the year if someone's folder got lost or fell apart.

4. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I use folders for two things: 1) their homework and notes home. Each morning, they put their folder in a specified place and during the day I'll put their homework in it. 2) I also create a folder for each student where I put my assessments/notes on them throughout the year - running records, sight word inventories, etc.

I use notebooks for their morning bell work and journals. Similar to the idea of colors, I will put a number at the top corner of each notebook. That way, for the non-readers, you can say,"Take out your #1 notebook, #2 notebook, etc." I try to move away from this throughout the year and actually call them what they are (response journal, morning journal), but in the beginning of the year it is helpful to number them.

5. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Aug 15, 2008

We use the black and white compostion books for our writing journals and then we have a seperate one for our math problem solving journal we do our problem of the day in it. They also have a folder for writing workshop that has a regular notebook in it.

6. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Notebooks are easier for teacher management. I've used them in the past. I'm only going to use them for interactive journals, word work and homework this year. For writers workshop, I'm going to a folder style. I feel like it is too hard for first graders to revise without actually being able to cut out and manipulate their writing. It seems to be too difficult for them to revise or edit in a notebook. It will take a lot of teaching of how to use loose paper, but I'm finally ready to give it a try.

7. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I just started to really use journals and folders this year. I have one folder for Classwork and Centers. The left side pocket is where they put their classwork (it makes it easier to collect that way) and on the right side they will put their center work when we start centers.

I have a journal for almost every subject. I have started to teach them how to use them the first week. For math I give them a word problem on a small sheet of paper that they glue in their notebook. They have to answer the question and show how they figured the answer. I will use the journals for most work that I don't intend to grade but will use to check on student progress. At our school we use folders for writing workshop so I won't be using journals for that.