Using Facebook Safely as a Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss_ali1984, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

I ran into a serious Facebook problem this last year. I had all my co-workers on my own page and got in trouble at school, not for saying anything vulgar or posting bad pictures, but for "wearing my emotions on my sleeve." I couldn't even say I was having a bad day on my Facebook page without it coming back to bite me. My personal Facebook page is now completely set to private....

I didn't read all the posts so I'm sorry if I'm repeating a suggestion but what I did was create a completely separate page for my teacher friends. I work in the modular outside of the school building and I wanted to still feel "connected" to my coworkers. I now know, however, what they are seeing is completely professional (even sometimes over the top professional) PLUS facebook has a lot of groups, apps, and pages designated completely to teachers so I add them and get their updates on my teacher page. A couple that I've added are: Facebook for Educators, TeachHUB, and Gateway education.

2. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

I have my settings so that only friends can see my wall, etc. I do accept current and former students, and my "grown-up" friends know this. They agree not to post anything that would make me look bad to students. If they post something I consider inappropriate, I immediately delete it. This goes for things that are inappropriate for my church to see. Not that I live such a PG-13 life, mine is more like G. I have only had to delete one comment, and it was by a friend referencing a concert and something my cousin did, I did not want her mom to see the comment. I deleted it, and messaged my friend as to why. It was fine by her. But I do know you can block certain people from seeing certain things, but for me it has been a non-issue.