Using fabric in the classroom

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by tinafirstgrade, Apr 3, 2007.

1. tinafirstgrade

tinafirstgrade Rookie

Apr 3, 2007

I went to a Fabric store this past weekend on a whim and the entire store was 40% off! Needless to say, I spent an hour in there looking around. I had my class in mind and chose some bright and fun fabrics. I was thinking of making some pillows but am drawing a blank to other ways to use fabric in the class? Any crafty people out there have any suggestions? Thank you!:thanks: ;)

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 3, 2007

I am not a sewer so I have no answers for you but I have seen teachers who use fabric for their bulletin boards. Looks great. I am thinking about doing it next year.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2007

You can put it on your bulletin boards using liquid starch. Then when you take it down you just run through wash and it's ready to use again.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2007

I second the bulletin board idea. Looks great

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 3, 2007

What did you get? Just cottons?

If you got sturdy stuff, you could make chair pockets. You could make very easy curtains, for windows or bookshelves, by hemming and adding a rod pocket at the top. You could also make skirts for tables to hide any storage (out of sight is out of mind in my classroom).

7. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Apr 3, 2007

I use fabric on my bulletin boards. It looks great and it doesn't fade like paper does.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 3, 2007

Windstocks (craft)

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 3, 2007

I use fabric as tablecloths to make things cheery. I also have a pattern for a bean bag that I got from someone here last summer. I haven't tried it yet but it looks easy. PM me if you want it.

10. tinafirstgrade

tinafirstgrade Rookie

Apr 3, 2007

Does anyone have a link to a picture of someone who uses fabric as a backdrop on a bulletin board? Unless you buy a solid color, I feel like it would look busy! I bought fabrics that have alot of bees, animals, patterns on them. I really like the idea of using them as table cloths to hide clutter! I'll have to experiment with this. I should pick a theme/color theme to my fabrics and stick with it. Or else, I think my room will make people dizzy with all of the different fabrics!

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 3, 2007

I Have one wall that's mostly covered with a light blue fabric. It's my calendar wall. Anyway, I'd like to cover all my walls with fabric but that would get expensive! The walls are just so gross. Maybe I'll paint them.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 3, 2007

I don't have any of my pictures on this computer, but I have used fabric for the past ten years or so for bulletin boards. I had black fabric with red checked apples on a bulletin board for three years and I got compliments on it every year. It could have gone a couple more, but I got tired of it. I just staple the fabric onto the board.

13. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Apr 4, 2007

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a picture. I don't know if this will work, but here goes. It's a picture of my bulletin board that I'm using for now. I bought the material from a discoutn fabric store. It has a pajama fabric feeling to it, and it's held up all year :) I made the crabs and fish from a template I found online.

[​IMG]

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 4, 2007

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

I love that blue color. Very calm and relaxing. I have green BB paper in my morning area, but I like the blue better. Oh, and your room looks very nice. What are all of those tubs on the floor? Just wondering. :)

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

I used navy blue for several years. Everything on it seemed to 'pop'. I have a bright yellow now and I like that, too. I prefer the fabric with some stretch - I don't have to be so exact about smoothing it out.

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 4, 2007

Peachyness, they are little book baskets for the kids to keep their independent reading books. I don't have extra shelf to put them on, so the floor will work. And thanks! I love the blue, it is calming. However it doesn't calm the kiddos so much... hehe.

18. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 4, 2007

I use a solid blue fabric as the background for my bulletin board. Another teacher used a fabric that is all different license plates for a bulletin board on the 50 states - it looks great! When she first put the lettering up on it, the letters totally blended in, so she decided to put the letters on solid colored paper and then put the paper on the background fabric - it made all the difference in the world.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 4, 2007

Apparently there has been some research saying that yellow letters over blue paper helps students retain the information. I got this from the reading coach who learned it in one of her workshop trainings.

20. forkids

forkids Cohort

Apr 7, 2007

I use fabric for my bulletin boards too. Solid color or a tiny all-over print works well. I'm partial to the blue/yellow combo.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 7, 2007

I like to use gingham check borders. This year I am using red check for the sides, blue check for the top and bottom. They look great over yellow fabric. I leave this up as my base. If I want to change the look for a holiday, I layer the new covering over the old one.

22. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Apr 9, 2007

I have bee fabric on a Busy Bees bulletin board. I use it to post student work, mostly papers. It is not too busy because the whiteness of the papers balance it out. I think a patterned fabric would be too busy if you tried to make it a real colorful bb.

23. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Apr 9, 2007

we have use fabric as a matching game . we cut the fabric into pieces then put on card stock and use contact paper to cover them the children love to play matching games with them

24. humptydumptytoo

humptydumptytoo New Member

Apr 11, 2007

You could make chair pockets. Very useful.