Using Donors Choose to fund some chromebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Nov 24, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 24, 2014

I don't have any computers in my classroom. I want to get something desperately. I'm not affiliated with donors choose, but this was recommended to me. Does anyone know how this works? And who are the donors? Are they random people just surfing the web to look to help? Or will I need to do significant recruiting (send a newsletter home, bombard my facebook friends, etc.)

I obviously can't get a class set, 10 chromebooks would be 2000.00, and that would only be 1/3 of a class set for me, but it would be helpful. How attainable is a 2000 goal for chromebooks on donors choose, or should I go lower???

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Nov 24, 2014

I have a friend who had a document camera donated by donors choose -- I don't know how it works exactly, but I know she didn't have to bombard facebook. She did post a few times, but I didn't notice it more than that. Honestly, I would say go for a class set. You never know what will happen. :)

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 24, 2014

I don't think your first grant with them can be that much. You start out with points and you earn more by completing your thank you and follow up.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 24, 2014

I just got two tablets and an iPad funded. I have also got A printer this year. I have had over 12 grants funded through them.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 24, 2014

You can't go over $800 for your first project.

The donors are just anyone that hears about your project and wants to donate. I had a project funded by my family members and friends a few years back.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 24, 2014

Do they fund money for the items or the items themselves?

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 24, 2014

The items themselves; once the grant is funded, the items are shipped to your classroom. I just had my first project funded! :)

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 25, 2014

Well, that is just cool. I tried to do a GoFundMe project and my system had me shut it down because of accounting red tape crap. It didn't really matter. After a month being up and daily pushes on FB trying to get a dollar or two, no one had donated. It was for life skills materials for my SPE students. :/

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 25, 2014

I didn't promote mine at all. It just sat there for a month or so, and I thought it would just die there... but then all of a sudden an organization covered the whole thing. :)

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 25, 2014

You shop through DC approved vendors.

Many DC projects get partial or full funding from special promotions. I have found with the projects I had funded that random donors were rare, but that could be due to my rural area too. I had the most luck with Facebook friends (and I know others do too). I would post every few days, and got quite a few donors. Most of my projects had some kind of match attached, so a certain company would match any donations by a certain time.

I also had a LOT of luck with bigger corporations who do charitable matching. My sister, who works for Oracle, gets 100% match for any donations. My projects were never more than $500 or so, so she would watch for double your donation days or other special promotions, then donate, and Oracle would match. My sister and Oracle funded a lot of my projects :lol:.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 25, 2014

Occasionally there are promotions where you text a certain number, the promoter gives you a code, and you can apply $40 or whatever to a project of your choosing. I had one project half funded by those-I put it on Facebook, and I helped 10 friends text that number. Once my project showed as over half funded, it moved up in priority, and some company came along and funded the other half. I think the longest I had a project up was a month, and that was because it was in the summer. My fastest project was funded in 2 hours.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 26, 2014

I am with Kcjo, I have a friend whose boss matches her donations. She paid a chunk on my printer one and her paid a chunk on my iPad one. I watch for codes and and I have had several funded through limeadesforlearning.

14. Rox

Rox Cohort

Nov 26, 2014

I've had several projects funded, some in less than a week! I am from a low-income school, and I think that makes a difference. The donors have always been random strangers.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 26, 2014

Look around for events that are funded by local companies. In the Bay Area, Chevron is a huge presence because they have oil refineries in the area. They conduct an event every year through Donor's Choose where they take a percentage of every gallon of gasoline sold in the area and donate it to Donor's Choose projects. I've had $2000+ worth projects funded all in one go this way.

16. newteech

newteech Rookie

Nov 26, 2014

Donors Choose administrative fees can run up to 50% of the initial cost of the project.

They're not funding classrooms out of the goodness of their hearts.

17. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Nov 27, 2014

I've had 9 projects funded by Donors Choose. Administrative fees did not exceed 15% in any one of my projects.

Please explain where you are getting this figure of 50%.

18. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Nov 27, 2014

http://www.donorschoose.org/about/finance.html

50% seems a bit high but then it depends on the items and project size. I have had smaller projects with significant fees attached but those were also fully funded. That is part of their system - postage and handling, etc.

There is a way for your donor to opt out of the "optional" 15% donation to Donors Choose but DC does not make that easy to do. I've donated to my own projects and had difficulty asking taking that option.

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 27, 2014

I have had over seven projects funded by donors choose in the last two years and none of them had over the 15%. In fact three had 0% donated because the corporation opted out.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 27, 2014

21. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 27, 2014

Even if you combine their administrative & fundraising expenses (as they are both not used for the program itself), it is still only 5.5%

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 27, 2014

I was endeavoring to declare nothing I couldn't easily substantiate... but, yes, single digits, and well below the scare figures.

23. newteech

newteech Rookie

Nov 27, 2014

link

24. newteech

newteech Rookie

Nov 27, 2014

I completed a DonorsChoose project last year for some books that cost $391 post-tax. I was appalled when the site tacked on an additional $111 in fees. That's 28%.

For a site that wants to benefit education that sure seems gluttonous.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 28, 2014

26. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 28, 2014

I've always had the option to opt out when I create a project and it is very plain to see. I have had several projects funded and been happy with the process. Some of the projects were funded by families of students and some by corporations (Chevron fuel my school has been particularly generous).