using cookie sheets with magnets

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jcatblum, Jul 29, 2006.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I searched all the yardsales and thrift stores and have found ALOT of cookie sheets and muffin pans. I bought an assortment of spray paint (silver, gold, red, blue, yellow, and I am sure there are a few colors I am leaving out)

I took the spray paint and painted all of the pans. Now I am working on finding ways I can use them during center.

So far I have:

1. chicka chicka boom boom tree- used clear contact paper to cover the entire pan and protect the tree. A copy of the book ABC magnets will go with the pan.

2. Upper case letters - printed the letters, after I typed them in MS Word. Used contact paper to cover the tray. A set of ABC magnets will go with the tray

3. Same as #2, except printed small letters to match to upper case.

4. I used ABC stickers scattered on the tray, not in ABC order. The children can match the magnetic letter to the letter on the tray.

5. I used stickers that are crayons which are different colors. Magnetic shapes will be sorted by colors.

6. I used dots that will be matched up with the correct numeral.

What else can you think of?

My kids have always loved magents, so I want to have an assortment of different trays. Plus I want to be able to change the trays out regularly. I found alot of the cookie sheets for $0.10 (they are pretty nasty, but a coat of spray paint takes care of that). In all I am have spent around $10 towards this project. So far the trays I painted gold are my favorite, since they sparkle!!!

3. benemma

benemma Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Hmmm...let me think on that. It is a great idea! I need to do this too. I love the idea of painting them to hide that they are not in stellar condition.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2006

How about patterns with foam shapes with stick-on magnet tape on back?

You could use colored tape to make lines for rows or columns.

You can also glue buttons to small round magnets to use in patterning or attribute grouping.

5. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 30, 2006

I saw a neat idea at a teacher webpage somewhere that I hope to try. She bought an oil drip pan at the automotive store and painted it white, and used it with magnetic letters. It looked like the pan was really big and was fastened on the wall somehow. I can't fasten to the wall- will probably have to mount it on the back of a cabinet. Anyway, it looked really neat! All you guys are so smart, it was probably on one of your websites!:D

6. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

I was able to find some shape magnets at the dollar tree. I am going to let the children use them for creating patterns on the trays. I am also going to laminate some small die cuts and put magnets on the back for patterns.

I think the oil pan sounds cure, but I am not sure if I can find a metal oil pan (all the ones I have seen are plastic).

I am going to try and create a few more magnetic props that go with some of our favorite classroom books.
    I am thinking about......
    Spilled milk
    There was an old lady
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
    Today Is Monday

I am sure as I look at my book shelf I will come up with even more.

My classroom white boards are magnetic, too. I am thinking my room is going to be overflowing with magnets of ALL kinds!!!!

7. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

I've used stove burner covers. My students loved using the magnetic letters to practice their spelling words. I also drew a grid on my filing cabinet, wrote a letter in each space, and placed the magnetic letters in their space. The kids would again practice writing words. On the other side of the cabinet, I had magnetic words that they used to make sentences.

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 31, 2006

I have found at the dollar store felt shapes farm animals and foam safari cutouts... Did you want me to send you the packets?

How about the path of the bee from its hive, to the flower. You need to MOVE the bee but use the BACK SIDE of the pan! SO it needs to be one child in front holding it and giving instructions (left/right or up down)

9. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

I have been working on finding more cookie sheets too. I love this idea ~ and I am really focusing on things that can be done as a "team" so of course I love the BEE hive thing!

10. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

WOW!!!! I had not yet thought of using the cookie trays for "teamwork" building. This opens up a whole new bag of ideas!!!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2006

I wasn't able to find any cookie sheets in my town that was under $6! So I went to home depot and got some of these sheets that are magnetic for like 70 cents. I put colored electric tape around the sides to cover up the sharp sides. I plan to use these sheets for the ABCs like you mentioned above. But, I will also use the sheets when we study the word families. So, if we're studying the __at family, then that day in their center they will make ___at words on their sheet. As they make these words, they will write them in their Word Family house paper. Worked great last year.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2006

I just saw something in Mailbox about using those advertisting magnets that you can get for free for an environmental print lesson using cookie sheets. You get two of each and have them match them. Obviously, this would work best in the very beginning of the year.
    Kim

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2006

jcatblum, I just wanted to say that I already have WAY TOO MUCH STUFF, but you have just inspired me to go out and buy more cookie sheets! And I love the idea of painting them.

14. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

I am going to be doing the same thing, using painted cookie sheets. There are some specific magnets that I couldn't find, so I printed pictures from a Print Shop program. I then cut out the pictures and put them on a big magnetic sheet (size of a 8 by 11 paper-sticky on one side, magnetic on the other), and cut to fit. I do the same with a felt board, just glue the printed picture on felt.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 4, 2006

One activity you could do with the muffin tins is sorting letters. Copy off the letters using different fonts from the computer. For example, you could print off the letter 'a' in ten different fonts. Cut them small and laminate them and they have to match all the letters. I like this center because it gets them use to the funky looking g and a that they encounter in print.