Using colorful language in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 23, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 24, 2014

Again, not to some people. You will need to be careful when you start teaching about what you say and how you phrase things. You may not even realize you're doing it, but it's so much easier and kinder to try not to offend people whenever possible.

2. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 24, 2014

Say something...I'd do it right away.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2014

I would say something to the teacher first- I don't think it is fair to go straight to administration.

If she singled out my child or continued to do this, I would then go to administration. It's not right to curse in front of students- I don't care what age they are.

4. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 25, 2014

Yeah, but we can't generally expect parents, especially the hoarding ones that think their kids are so perfect to actually have any guts to go talk to a teacher about anything unless it is in a threatening manner.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2014

I don't understand "hoarding parents". You will find, if you ever teach in a classroom, that the majority of parent interactions are quite positive, even when a parent has a complaint.

6. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 25, 2014

Well, this actually was discussed in our classroom management class. The hoarding, hovering parent.

There is a woman in our class who also works for the registrar's office, and there is a mother calling her about her 18 year old in college making sure he is sticking to his diet and taking his vitamins. There are also the parents who are often demanding to be released confidential information that they can't give them just because it is their child. These are when their kids are adults too. I can't even imagine this kind of personality towards pre-teens that I will be teaching.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 25, 2014

What are they hoarding?

8. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 25, 2014

Hoarding is mostly the term for over-protective parents who freak out whenever their kids are away from them and think something is going to happen.

I know a woman whose son who was 11 or 12 rode to his friend's house on his bike, and 5 minutes later his mom heard a siren so got on her bike and rode after him because she was certain that he was in an accident. Of course it had nothing to do with him entirely. Hoarding parents. They are in a deep state of anxiety that they need professional help with, and teachers unfortunately often have to be the ones that are affected by their mental health issues. They can't ever trust anyone who is taking care of their kids.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 25, 2014

Are you a parent? Or a mental health expert? I am a mom and know a lot of moms. I can honestly say I don't know any moms/parents who don't worry about their kids all the time. I understand that you're very young, but you really don't seem to care how offensive you are.

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2014

Sure you don't mean helicopter parents?

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 25, 2014

I would use the words hovering or helicopter. Using the word hoarding doesn't make sense. That's why I asked WHAT they were hoarding.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

Yeah, a2z is right. It's called helicopter parenting, not hoarding.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

I could be wrong, but I thought we were talking about multiple instances. I, personally, wouldn't address the teacher directly, as a parent, for fear of retaliation. If we are all honest, we know that we have read enough posts from teachers that hint that many are quite capable of holding a grudge.

I have worked with such teachers, as well as the ones I would call unflinchingly honest, dedicated, and unbiased despite encounters with parents or students; without intent to offend anyone, I call these teachers the saints - the ones who can separate out the nonsense, bravado, game-playing, and outright annoying encounters with people who would drive many people to drink. Make the call to the administrator anonymously, or do the same to the teacher, but I would never put my child in what could be the line of fire from a truly annoyed teacher, or an aide, or para, or bus driver, etc. :2cents:

14. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 25, 2014

I think I've heard that term before too. A camp counselor training program I've gone through called them hoarding parents.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2014

Let's keep this on topic, please.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2014

Quote: Originally Posted by lynettstoy
    Same for me. I may have a lot of colorful language thrown or directed at me, but I will not respond in kind. It may have literary value, for sure, but it doesn't have value beyond that except to show your education failed to include the use of a broad and varied vocabulary. If you can't speak without falling back onto profanities, then you didn't get your money's worth at your university - that's what my favorite English teacher had to say on the matter.

I appreciate the fact that she can ascertain which vocabulary is appropriate for the venue. I never begrudge or think less of anyone who can swear with the best of them - my comment is more about not swearing in school with a captive audience. Things happen and some language is out there, I so get that. I also know more colorful terms and phrases, but feel that school is not where I should demonstrate that "skill." I understand that profanity offends some people, so if I can use language in school that won't offend, it seems like a better choice. :)

17. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

Did the OP ever talk to the teacher?

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 25, 2014

Nope. Truthfully, I never intended to talk to her about it. I'd feel very uncomfortable telling another adult to watch her mouth and after I offended her, I can only imagine how she'd treat my daughter. If I was going to say anything about it, it would be to the admin. But my daughter has said she hasn't said anything inappropriate in about a week, so maybe someone's talked to her about it already,

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

Saved by the actions of others - I love it! :lol: