Using class dojo for academic performance data

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bibliophile, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 21, 2015

so I have used class dojo before for behavior management and I think it is good for rowdy classes but to labor instensive for generally well behaved, mostly on task classes for me and it requires me to never forget my personal device otherwise I have no way to manage behavior for a whole day which could turn out very badly. However for a class that needs that level of feedback on behavior it's great, fun and great for keeping data on bahavior for determining antecedent, behavior, consequence relationships.

What I want to do however is use it to track data for participation and correct/incorrect oral responses to questions. Has anyone used it to track academic performance through observations and participation? I used to keep paper notes but I'd like to go electronic since it seems like it would be easier to keep organized since I tend to create mountains of paper slips.

Has anyone done this or used another app for tracking observation data. What works, what doesn't, what should I keep in mind.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 21, 2015

I looked into Class Dojo before and I quickly came to realize that I didn't really have a way to share that data with the students who need it the most and I seemed (for me) like it would distract me from my teaching.

What I have done before is to create a Google spreadsheet of learning expectations - either content related, skill related, or looking for certain behaviors. We use Google Classroom for 5th and 6th grade since they have Chromebooks, so I could post that spreadsheet and fill it out as students were completing their work (Google classroom will automatically make a copy of the spreadsheet for each student). The kids can check their work as I fill out the data - it updates automatically as I make changes and students can add comments or have a conversation with me via computer if they have any thoughts/questions.

In class, I will have the assignment opened and all I have to do is click on a name, update it, and the kid can see the feedback.

4. oneteacher

oneteacher Rookie

Dec 1, 2015

BioAngel, Do you have a spreadsheet for each student?

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 2, 2015

I create a template and Google Classroom (when I set it to an assignment) will automatically create 1 copy for each student that I can edit.

Yes - technically the student can change my text, but Google automatically saves all revisions (and who did the revision) so I can always set it back (and none of my students has ever done that).