Using Another Teacher's Resources

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cmlisenk, Apr 23, 2014.

1. cmlisenk

cmlisenk Rookie

Apr 23, 2014

I've been filling as a maternity leave substitute since January and found a bunch of ideas I would really like to tweak to use in my own classroom once I get a permanent job. Are there any certain ways I should go about doing this? Should I talk with the teacher about what ideas I'm "stealing"? How does this usually work?

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 23, 2014

Teachers steal from one another all the time. The only time it is not okay to steal is when you are trying to sell an item as your own when it's not or when you are trying to publish an item when it is not yours. :)

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 23, 2014

As long as you aren't physically stealing books or originals, take away. Photocopy, scan, photograph, etc., whatever you might want.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 23, 2014

I think it's fine, expected even, and maybe even flattering, for teachers to borrow ideas from one another!

I would probably say something, or send an email, something like:

I love your lesson plans for teaching congruent angles! In fact, I've seen several things in your classroom that I would love to be able to use in my own classroom someday. Do you mind if I emulate what you have created? Thanks!

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2014

This is one of the key upsides to being a sub - you get to "see" (sometimes indirectly, since the teacher isn't there teaching obviously) tons of different ideas and can find what feels the best for you as a teacher. I'll usually ask certain teachers about using particular full lessons/management plans (i.e. I adapted a self-manager program that another school used school-wide with their permission to use in the class I did my maternity leave job in), but simpler elements / things I wouldn't be using specific materials from the teacher/school I will keep in my memory banks and apply at wil

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Apr 23, 2014

As my old professor used to say.....the best teachers are....THIEVES !

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 23, 2014

I wouldn't photocopy anything (or take a photo) without getting permission first. But tricks and methods like review games, etc? sure - file those ideas away for later use.

I have to be honest - I've come to a point where I'm not as generous with the things I make up as I used to be. I spend a lot of time making stuff for my classes. Most of the teachers I know don't. They either use the same stuff they've used for years or download something quickly from the internet. I get things from the internet too. But most things I tailor to my instruction at that time in the lesson/unit. Or I think of a new game and spend hours creating it.

When I'm spending more time working than the next guy, it does get tiresome sharing work all the time. If someone took it without permission I'd be pi$$ed.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, I understand this, a lot! When I left teaching, I didn't need or want to take any of my posters, bulletin board stuff, signs I'd made, etc. But, when I go up to the school (especially when my daughter was in my replacement's class), it was hard to see all "my" stuff in someone else's room. Basically, she didn't change a thing. Which is kinda flattering, but still weird. I put a lot of work into that stuff.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 24, 2014

I wouldn't copy the teacher's own created notes, but if there are copies of things that were already published, I'd feel free to use all of them. Other teachers are great resources.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 24, 2014

I feel the same. When I first started teaching, I shared everything with everyone, but as time passed, I realized I was doing a whole lot more creating and giving than receiving. That in and of itself was something I could live with, but then I went to a workshop where a mini unit I had created was presented! What I had shared with a few coworkers had made the rounds through email, etc, and here was this other person I had never met presenting my lessons! I knew it was mine from the examples and illustrations, etc.

I'm not really a confrontational person, so I approached the presenter afterwards and asked some questions that helped me figure out who had sent my work around the area. I also told the presenter that I had created that exact lesson, even with the exact same examples and illustrations. I told her how I came up with the format, etc.... She knew she had my stuff.

From then on, I learned to share with caution. I sell a lot of stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers for a minimal price, so if someone wants what I have, I send them there.

12. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 24, 2014

:eek:hmy::eek:hmy::eek:hmy: I'm speechless.

OP... ideas, steal away!! The above or similar... don't do!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 24, 2014

Whoa, bandnerdtx, I'd be really upset if credit wasn't given (and I wasn't paid!)

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 24, 2014

I too would ask. I don't think many teachers would deny you if you asked directly, and would most often be flattered. Last year I created everything from scratch. This year, I'm modifying the things I created last year to include more rigor, and I'm learning to use the textbook resources that were available that I didn't know about. I do take a lot of things from the internet, I borrow ideas from the teacher next door, I buy lots of books with lesson plans, etc. and I think it's fantastic. There's no need to reinvent the wheel. While it would be rather jarring to see an idea I created being presented without credit somewhere else, it all goes to helping the kids anyway. If you want to get paid for your own things put it on TeachersPayTeachers, however I would venture to say that original ideas in teaching are very rarely original and someone has probably done it before anyway.

15. Rox

Rox Cohort

Apr 24, 2014

The same thing happened to me!! She did not give credit (she even used white out to cover my name before photocopying it)! I now put a copyright symbol and information at the bottom of my lessons and worksheets that I don't want others to "steal". It says "This page may not be reproduced without permission." but if someone asked, I probably would give them permission to use it.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2014

When I student taught my mentor let me photo copy whatever. When I subbed I took copies that were thrown in the scrap bin (but it was stuff they copied from a book). Some teachers even told me you find something you like go ahead and make a copy!

Bandnerd that is awful.

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2014

I don't understand why this upsets people. I don't care who uses my stuff as long as it is used for the benefit of students. I can see being upset if someone claimed they had made it but if someone just says "I found this" and doesn't credit me I couldn't care less.

It is part of why I think TpT shouldn't exist - it discourages sharing among teachers.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

If somebody puts in ten hours worth of work on something and decides they want to be compensated in return for using that something, I don't see a problem with that.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

If someone found a research paper or dissertation you wrote, and used it in their own research because that research was going to benefit students, would you feel the same?

Lessons or units shouldn't be any different.

20. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2014

I would feel exactly the same. I would, in fact, hope that research I had done would be used by others. I thought that was the point.

21. Nate

Nate Companion

Apr 28, 2014

It sounds like the OP might need to ask permission. But I wouldn't have thought twice about "stealing" ideas prior to reading this thread. If I was making a copy of some material, I'd ask, and I wouldn't copy stuff from published material unless it was allowed by the publisher, but I'd take a picture of a bulletin board/poster/gameboard/etc.) or take an activity. The only reason I'd tell the teacher is because I'm flattered when someone "steals" from me, and it's a nice boost for the day.

22. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 28, 2014

Using your research would be more like using ideas/tricks, which people all said they'd freely share. How would you feel about them copying/pasting your work and turning it in without giving you credit?

23. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2014

I would freely take any ideas or copies (that I made) for my own classroom use. If I were going to be sharing those materials with others, I'd try to give credit wherever possible.

I wouldn't mind if someone took my ideas and shared them with others, even if they didn't credit me. What would bug me, though, is if someone would share my ideas with others and intentionally hide the fact that I had created the materials, perhaps by applying white-out to my name or something like that. To me that is shady and dishonest, and I don't like it. I guess it would also bother me if someone intentionally gave the impression that they had created the materials that I had actually created. I think it would be better for them to say, "I found this neat resource...." than for them to say, "I came up with this great idea...."

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2014

Caesar...I see stuff on the internet, but change it up to meet my needs... If someone asks I may say I saw it on the internet, but changed some stuff...

25. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 28, 2014

I say copy whatever you want. It's not an uncommon sight in my school for people to be making photocopies of stuff they found in the workroom. Sometimes if one teacher finds something that is amazing, it spreads like wildfire and within a week, half the school is using it.
    A good teacher is exceptionally good at 'stealing' resources.

26. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2014

<<I can see being upset if someone claimed they had made it but if someone just says "I found this" and doesn't credit me I couldn't care less.>>

I said the above in my first post on the subject. It bothers me that they'd be dishonest in claiming they made it but that has nothing to do with me.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 29, 2014

I wouldn't mind someone using my stuff. I would be upset if I saw some things that I created being sold by someone else on TpT! That's just despicable!

28. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Apr 29, 2014

I once had a professor who always said there is no reason to "reinvent the wheel". As long as you aren't trying to sell them as yours I don't see any issue with it!