Using an outdated version of a reading program.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Sep 15, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 15, 2015

First I need to vent! My county NEVER has money for special ed. NEVER, EVER, EVER! We are always told to photocopy workbooks, etc. Anyway, I found an older version of Reading Mastery in the back of a closet that I want to use with my younger kiddos. But, it's copyrighted 1988! I have researched, and I see that this program was updated in 2008. Do you think it'd be non-compliant to use this older version of the program? I don't even have a newer version that I can compare it to in order to determine the differences.

I have already called my director, and was told she would absolutely NOT buy another version. She has no clue if anyone else in the county has one I can use.

Sigh. Maybe it would just be easier to do my own thing. LOL!

3. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 15, 2015

That is terrible. The parents should sue.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 15, 2015

Non-compliant with what? IEP, curriculum plan, supervisor's instructions or...?

5. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 15, 2015

We are supposed to use research based interventions, and this is research based, but there's the newer version that I am sure has changes.

6. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 15, 2015

God, no. I'm sure they'd find a way to blame me for it. lol!

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 15, 2015

Honestly though, it is really sad. We are literally left to our own devices, but expected to do so much.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2015

It is a reading book. Reading skills are the same as they were in 1988. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. If we were talking science, there may be a valid complaint since a lot has changed since 1988.

9. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 15, 2015

So, I seriously just realized I could create my own reading program from start to finish, sell it, and retire really early. Oh, my days could be spent on the beach with my pitbull. :) The husband and son can come too if they want to.

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 15, 2015

A reading program. I feel like a lot has changed since 1988.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2015

I posted while you were posting, so I'm adding.

A workbook/textbook (or any other form of prepackaged curriculum) is a resource. Very rarely do they completely correlate with a district's curriculum. It is up to you to modify it fit your needs.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2015

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. We have fluency, phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary and comprehension. They were all taught in 1988. Reading skills (infrencing, cause/effect, compare/contrast, main idea, etc...) were also taught in 1988. As for how you teach it, there are a million different ways. I've never let a prepackaged program dictate how I teach. Have I taken ideas from them? Yes. But I've also included my own methods.

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2015

I don't think it would be out of compliance to use it. To my knowledge, compliance doesn't dictate what teaching resources you use (unless they are explicitly stated in the IEP). So you are free to use whatever you like. That said, it's definitely old and not ideal!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 15, 2015

One day last year, our SDC had an emergency and couldn't report to work. No substitute teachers accepted the vacancy, so I had to teach the class myself. The program all SDC teachers in my district use is Reading Mastery.

Maybe it's because I don't have a SpEd background, but wow: that was the most dry and boring curriculum I've ever seen. I'm sure it helps our SpEd kiddos become readers, but I felt like a robot (it's an oh-so-highly scripted program).

Personally, I felt like it was drill and kill, which I'm totally not used to. :yawn:

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2015

My biggest concern with older resources is that they are sometimes dated--not the concepts, but the references or the pictures/illustrations.

I agree with those who have said that books or programs are resources, not the be-all-and-end-all. If there are parts that you can use to meet your objectives, go for it.

For what it's worth--packed programs (in any subject) are extremely rare here.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2015

There aren't many differences between the older and newer versions of reading mastery. Pictures have been updated, some newer stories have been added, but the concepts are pretty much the same.

Like Giraffe said, what you teach in reading hasn't changed; how you teach it is up to you.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 16, 2015

ITA

And sue? Sue over what?

18. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 16, 2015

The parents should sue because the special education program in her district sounds like it is being underfunded. I wonder if general Ed teachers are forced to use books from the eighties.

19. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 16, 2015

There is a investigation going on in my district in which the state has been underfunding special education programs for years. It is a big deal.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2015

A. It is a resource the OP wants to use, not is required to use. How you can infer the program is underfunded by that alone is beyond me.

B. Many districts have gotten rid of text books altogether. In a former district of mine, some teachers opted to use an outdated text as a resource. (I got rid of them all once I was no longer required to incorporate them.)

21. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2015

A reading program is a tool. If it works for you, use it. I never have used just the reading materials supplied as they are always inadequate. Reading can be taught in so many ways. This gives you great freedom to teach reading in the way you feel is the best way possible and teaches the standards mandated by your state and district.

22. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 16, 2015

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2015

24. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 16, 2015

Obviously we both don't have all the details, but she said there is no money for Special Ed. Given that statement, I inferred that Special Ed is underfunded. You couldn't understand how I drew that conclusion. I am letting you know why I thought The Sped program might be underfunded.

Maybe the parents couldn't actually sue, I don't know, but it seems to me that if they aren't receiving any money for materials, it is discriminatory.

25. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 17, 2015

They'd need much more proof - also, suits take a very long time - they'd have much more luck filing for due process, unless they get an evaluation that shows their child isn't improving as well as they should in a year, which would be indicative of the placement perhaps not being the best to the child, leading to some people looking into the funding situation of the program, etc.

26. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 19, 2015

It is, but I would only do this the first part of class, and then we'd do other stuff. They really need those foundational skills.

27. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 19, 2015

Just to settle any disagreement.....YES, the Special Ed Dept is underfunded in so many ways in my county. It's sad, and ridiculous.

28. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 19, 2015

Plus, a lot of the kids in the program have memory issues and need repetition.