Using an eraser vs crossing out in K

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teach_kids, Feb 25, 2009.

1. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

Hey all,

I am having a bit of an internal struggle with my K writers. Most of them are doing wonderfully and really enjoying writing. I am so proud of their progress. The issue is mistakes and how to have them handle the fixes. I have previously banned erasers from the classroom as the kids become fixated on using them and therefore spend more time erasing than writing. But I have many kids in the class that are crossing out so much that their pages look horrendous and you can't read the stories.

Do you let the children erase or cross out? Is there a time you can tell a child that the work isn't neat enough to read and they need to redo? Some kids couldn't handle that I don't think... so what is there to do?

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

when I student taught K and we did kidwriting, the kids used markers, so they obviously crossed out.

4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2009

I worked in a school where we were forbidden to let K students erase. I really prefer that, at least until later in the year when some students--by their maturity in writing and their self-control when using an eraser--can earn the privilege of using an eraser.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 25, 2009

I guess I've never really thought about it. My kids use erasers just fine.

6. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

Yeah, I was starting to feel bad that I have never even thought about this. I haven't had a problem with erasers.

7. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 25, 2009

I let mine do both. For regular work, they use regular pencils, but for Writer's Workshop they use black pens and just scratch out. They're getting better about it, plus, they feel so special using pens.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2009

What I've done in the past (not this year) was I ordered those big pencils with no erasures. Then, I bought those packs of erasures for my kids to use. If there was a kid who couldn't handle using the erasure, then I would take it away from them until they earned it back. It worked really well.

This year, I am at a school where they order the big pencils for us, but they order the ones with erasures. Luckily, they haven't been too much of a problem. Only, it's when we do math whole group, they use the pencils that we all share, and sometimes they spend a while trying to look for the pencils with erasures still on it. That part, I don't like, but I do what the other teacher does. I don't do crossing out because it will get too messy, and I always tell my kids, it's okay to make a mistake because we always have erasures (or that's why our pencils have erasures!) :)

9. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

Thanks... I think I am going to try and let them use erasures again and limit on a case by case bases. The pages are just looking too messy and then I don't want to hang their work on the wall.